- 9 years ago
- Wedding: October 2009
Hey everyone, I’m really stressed out right now the last couple of weeks have been really chaotic because we’re creeping really close to my wedding which is now about 3 1/2 weeks away… so bear with me if this seems kinda high strung. I’ll try to simplify what is a complicated situation.
* I have a huge family, Fiance doesn’t
* Guestlist is already about 65:35 being invited
* I can’t really invite any more people because if I do, it will be Laurapalooza, and Russell’s guests will be lost in the crowd
* Our venue has tiers of beverage/food minimums.. We’re trying to stay in the first tier where you pay for a 100 people whether they show up or not. The next tier is 150 (We’re talking about another $1250 here) and we will have to move into a bigger room, we’ll need more centerpieces, etc.
* I grew up with a group of people until I was about 11 and my mom divorced my dad and married one of the sons of the family making me related to this group of about 35 people.
* Said stepdad was abusive so I moved out on my own when I was 16… almost 17. I am now 23 as of next week.
* I haven’t heard from this group but once since I moved out over 6 years ago, and the time I heard from them was 5 years ago.
* They have no concept of how much a wedding costs… Fiance and I are shelling out nearly $11,000 of our own money…so they won’t understand/they’ll think I’m lying if I tell them they’re not invited due to money… their mentality is to have a barbecue and Justice of the Peace wedding so why am I spending so much and yet still can’t invite them.
* This group of people are very redneck and embarrassing, they don’t get along with my family, mom or even my stepdad who is one of them.
*Last year one of the girls who is my “cousin”/stepdad’s neice got married and the only way I found out was b/c I saw the pics on her myspace.
I have already sent out Save-The-Date Cards and Invites and NOT invited this group of people…. I don’t want to cause excess drama about this but I fricken haven’t heard from them in over 5 years, they are embarrassing, and I already have too many people invited…
Due to my mom being in a bad financial situation, she, my stepdad, and brother have had to move in with one of the families of the group I’m not inviting and they see my mom talking to me about the wedding and are kinda bitter about it telling her that I am out of line for asking my stepdad to rent a $100 tux… These people are gossipers so because my mom and stepdad are living with one of the families, the whole family knows already.. my stepdad works for a family business and is too dumb to keep his mouth shut about it even though I told him they wouldn’t be invited from day one.
and then today, one of the girls who is my “cousin” who I wasn’t going to invite wrote on my wall on facebook, bluntly and directly, “Where is my invite?”
What do I say to her? How do I handle this… pissing the least amount of people off and keeping them away from my wedding? What would you do? I’m already stressed about other stuff right now and today this pops up. Oi… haha.
Besides this though… I must say everything is going swimmingly and I am so excited about the wedding. Everything is coming together and I can’t wait for that day, if I could just get through this snafu!