Post # 1
and now right before the end of my notice my replacement let me know shes been sent a flood of job offers from other places she applied to. Over the period of training we have delveloped a good repor and she was very candid in telling me she couldn’t rule them out completely. I don’t blame her, I am after all leaving my job due to some less then ideal situations at my place of work and I am guessing she can see them coming. I am really worried that she is gonna turn around a refuse the job when I have almost no more time to train someone new I am eager to start my new job and I am worried my boss is going to request I postpone my leave.hheeellp
Post # 3
- Wedding: May 2013 - Walt Disney World
If you’ve already given your employer your notice, then I don’t think they can make you stay.
Post # 4
@JplusJ: There’s nothing you can really do if your replacement opts to leave but to ask her to remain being candid with you so you can let the higher ups know just in case they can attempt to find another candidate. If I were you, I would definitely think hard before deferring your leave because it may affect your situation at your new job especially if you committed to a certain start date. Good luck!
Post # 5
It’s your company’s responsibility to hire a replacement, not yours. You don’t have to stay any longer than you want to.
Post # 6
Frustrating, BUT, not your fault or your problem. That’s awesome that you care enough to be worried about it, but just tell your boss if it comes down to it that you have committed to being out of there on a certain date and unfortunately you can’t change that date.
Post # 10
Personally, I don’t think she should have put you in this position where you know information that is potentially detrimental to the company. Now you are in a tough spot and wondering where your loyalties lie. If she didn’t love this job, she should’ve kept it to herself and accepted another offer. You can’t keep staying on waiting for them to hire someone else and keep training new candidates. You’ve done more than enough.
Post # 11
I guess I don’t really understand. If you gave your notice and it has been the standard two weeks then why can’t you leave to begin your new position. Unless you have a contract that states you have to give a certain amount, like a month, and train your replacement, I cannot see how they could make you stay.
Can you give us a few more details?
Post # 12
I don’t have a contract its just a very small business and it would be difficult for the company to run without a replacement in place before i exit. I think I am just going to go on and hope this unfolds after my notice ends. sigh
Post # 13
Oh I see. You are very sweet for being so concerned about this company. However, if you delay your start date at the new job, you may risk losing out to someone else. I would just see how it plays out. I think that the new position should be your priority though.
Post # 14
Do what’s best for you, if your new job expects you to start on a certain day, that’s when you need to start. Its up to your employer to find your replacement & to train any future employees – not you! I get it, if I’m sick, the business basically closes for the day. With small companies, losing 1 person can be a big set back… but that’s why you give notice, to prepare them for that. You already did what was right & what you needed to do if you gave them a 2 week notice. I would talk to your replacement & ask them if they’re seriously considering leaving already & tell them they need to tell the boss that day or that you will. Its not really up to you to do that, but I would feel bad knowing that all my training could be of better use to someone else & that the replacement won’t stick around to help.