- 5 years ago
- Wedding: September 2012
at wedding dresses….
It’s very strange (to me anyway) that whenever I get some free time I am on this board looking at wedding dresses. I think it is mostly because I regret the dress that I bought for my wedding: the shape wasn’t what I really wanted and I ended up “settling” for a dress. Plus our photographer wasn’t great so I don’t feel I got a really good “bride in dress” shot.
In any case, I look on this board and on the internet and see that there were/are many other dresses that would have been within my budget and just daydream away with what dress I would have gotten instead. Anybody else do this?
P.S. if i can provide some unsolicited advice to the brides out there to avoid the regrets that i have…
– try on “the” dress as close to your real size as possible. the sample dress that I tried on was a 6 sizes too big and when the bridal salon ladies pulled it back with the clips, they created a more “fit and flare” shape than the dress was actually (a A line)…and I wanted a fit and flare shape
– speaking of sizing, i shouldn’t have let the bridal salon strong-arm me into buying a size larger than I thought I needed. My seamstress had to take in several inches in the bodice/waist area, the dress was falling off me when it arrived from the factory
– a corset back also would have been a good idea, just to give even more wiggle room after alternations. I was so busy before the wedding that I lost weight and thus my dress was sliding off and i was hunching my shoulders to get my strapless dress to stay up (not pretty)
– buy a used dress from preownedweddingdress.com or similar and save yourself the money. i sold my dress for more than 60% off what i paid and it was in immaculate condition. I wish I had taken the risk and profited.
– finally, don’t get caught up by a certain designer or price point. i have to admit that my “cheapo” David’s Bridal dress that I wore to the city hall (mandatory here in France) made me several times happier and feel more beautiful than my expensive Watters silk dress did
What are some other dress buying, regret avoidance tips?