(Closed) I know you're the bride and you want us to look ugly…

posted 9 years ago in Bridesmaids
  • poll: Would you style your bridesmaids to make them less attractive so that you stand out as the bride!???
    Yes! It's my big day- I don't want to share the spotlight! : (12 votes)
    2 %
    No...atleast not consciously ;) : (95 votes)
    14 %
    No! : (542 votes)
    81 %
    Sort of- I want them all to look like identicle (hair/makeup/dress)think twins/triplets/quadruplets : (24 votes)
    4 %
  • Post # 32
    7550 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: April 2019

no way! i want them to look and feel gorgeous! I am the bride, I will stand out anyway, and all that really matters is that I am marrying my best friend 🙂 (although that doesn’t stop me wanting to lose a fair bit of weight before the big day!)

Post # 33
    1198 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

I had no desire to make anyone look ugly and with girls like mine it’s impossible to make them ugly anyways.  =P

Post # 34
    23 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: June 2012

I ended up picking a dress for my girls that I wanted to buy for myself.  Originally I was going to let them pick their own styles but with 6 girls and all but 1 living other states and countries (not to mention the huge range of styles and requests I was getting)….it really was easier just to get the same dress for everyone. 

On the wedding day, all my guests commented on how beautiful the girls looked, but I’m pretty sure at least half of them were extremely unhappy with the dress I choose because it wasn’t the length, color, exact style etc…. of what they wanted.  So at least in my case, I didn’t try to make any of them feel unbeautiful but some bridesmaids are harder to please than others. 

Post # 35
    105 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: January 2013

I do not think I would ever try to make my girls look bad. I mean even if you’re simply being selfish, they’re in YOUR wedding pictures and those need to look nice right… I gave my girls options of which dress to wear for my wedding, they all picked one that they’re most likely to wear again which is great. I did request that they all get an updo, all up, one because I want half of my hair down and two because I think it’ll help with a uniformed look (they’re also wearing thier own shoes and jewelry).. OH, and they’re all having their makeup done to match the theme… So my girls will look amazing!

Post # 36
    498 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

I just don’t think it’s possible for bridesmaids to outshine the bride. I wanted mine to be beautiful! And I second what someone said about it being impossible for them to be ugly!

Post # 37
    194 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

I’ve never understood why people want their bridesmaids to look bad! They’re going to be in my pictures so why would I make them look horrible on purpose? One of my girls picked out a dress that everyone loved so they took the pressure off of me! And they look amazing in it!

Post # 38
    7384 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2013

@Regina Phalange:  This. I love these ladies and would never want them to hate me lol. Mine actually got mad at me because I was trying to let them make the decisions on what they were wearing and they said the same thing. “We will wear whatever you want!

Post # 39
    1258 posts
    Bumble bee

I picked an amazing dress for my bff (my only bridesmaid). She could stop traffic in that dress.

Post # 40
    716 posts
    Busy bee

If someone does that, they’re just shooting themselves in the foot. If the bridesmaids look bad, the whole ceremony will look bad, and that will reflect negatively on the bride.

Post # 42
    3148 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

This is why my bridesmaids are choosing their own dresses. I will ask that they be in purple…and thats it. I dont even want them buying a really “bridesmaidy dress”. I want them to be able to wear it again and feel comfortable.  

Post # 43
    90 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

@RunnerBride13:  Hahaha my thoughts exactly. I need to show my future children how awesome I was when I was young and how attractive all my friends were!!! (JK, sort of!)

But in all honesty, they’re my best friends on Earth. Why wouldn’t I want them to look (and feel) awesome? They’re spending bookoo bucks to be in my wedding; I’m going to make sure they don’t want to die the whole time they’re standing up for me!

Post # 44
    2831 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

I actually had to force my SIL to take a shower and wash her hair on our wedding day so she wouldn’t look like a grease-ball.  Maybe I should have let her look bad?  Nah…

Post # 45
    630 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

No, I want my ladies to look and feel beautiful.  I’m paying for their hair and make-up but they can choose whatever styles they like.  They all chose the style of their dresses although I chose the color and material.  I know at least one Bridesmaid or Best Man is not thrilled with the color of the dress, but I draw the line at changing color schemes (and chocolate brown is not that bad).

I’d actually be pretty offended if someone assumed that I’d do that to my friends.

Post # 46
    5 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: May 2013

My three bridesmaids all had different body types and sizes (6-20) and I sent them a bunch of dresses to look at.  In the end, they all loved the same dress.  The one bridesmaid requested a certain brand after talking with a shop about the two brands I sent because their sizing ran bigger. 

The topic ‘I know you're the bride and you want us to look ugly…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors