(Closed) I know you're the bride and you want us to look ugly…

posted 9 years ago in Bridesmaids
  • poll: Would you style your bridesmaids to make them less attractive so that you stand out as the bride!???
    Yes! It's my big day- I don't want to share the spotlight! : (12 votes)
    2 %
    No...atleast not consciously ;) : (95 votes)
    14 %
    No! : (542 votes)
    81 %
    Sort of- I want them all to look like identicle (hair/makeup/dress)think twins/triplets/quadruplets : (24 votes)
    4 %
  • Post # 62
    3054 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

My girls looked amazing and I wouldn’t have had it any other way.

Post # 63
    545 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

No Way! I want my bridesmaids to looking beautiful! I cant wait to see them all jazzed up looking amazing and I hope they feel as good on the day as I will! I would never even consider dressing them down ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Post # 64
    1156 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2015

I was Maid/Matron of Honor for my best friend and she went super crazy micromanager bride on us lol. (It didn’t help that she was pregnant at the time) Anyways, we had gone to David’s Bridal and all tried on different dresses so she could see how certain styles would fit us. There was one dress that was chiffon and sweetheart neckline and VERY flattering on every bridesmaid that tried it on, and another one that was super tight satin with a straight across neckline which was totally unforgiving even on the BMs who were in perfect shape (and satin didn’t even go with her theme/style). Basically, she didn’t decide that day and I literally caught her looking online and saying she was just going to pick a dress out that we’d have to order cause she was tired of our bitching (we lived together at the time). All of the dresses that she was looking at were super heavy satin and not flattering and one was even a dress SHE had to wear for her sister’s wedding and she said she HATED it lol. Luckily, one of the other BM’s found a pretty good website online and I found a Bridesmaid or Best Man dress that she had described to me originally and we ended up going with that one.

Needless to say, I’m letting my BM’s pick out their dresses in the color and fabric of my choosing. Otherwise, you create so much stress for yourself! Not worth it to me AT ALL.

Post # 65
    3218 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

Depending on who is looking I’m the least attractive one of the bunch… (me: short, stuby legs them: tall, very slim, and mile long legs). They’re dresses showed their figures, their hair and makeup showed their styles.

Post # 66
    537 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2012

A)  I ADORE my sister and BFFs in my bridal party and I want them to feel just as beautiful as I hope to feel on my wedding day

B)  That would just be bad karma to purposefully try and make your BMs look less attractive.  Just sayin… what goes around, comes around.  ๐Ÿ˜‰

Post # 67
    537 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2012

@vmec:  You are HOT!  Nothing wrong with being a shorty.  ๐Ÿ˜‰  (I’m shorter than all my friends, too.)

Post # 68
    8375 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: May 2009

Definitely not. I wanted them all to look and feel beautiful.

Post # 69
    3218 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

@Luv2BeachIt:  haha thanks! I said “depending on who is lookin'” ๐Ÿ˜› Lots of guys are into the tall thin (model) figure that’s why I say that. Either way my BM’s were stunning!

Post # 71
    2343 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

I don’t really give a sh!t what my bridesmaids are wearing. They each picked their own dress, and their own color of green (since our colors are white, green, and yellow) so that they could wear a flattering shade and style (because they run the gamut from teeny to larger, redhead to blonde to brunette, and super-pale to tanned), then they told me what they each wanted and I went out and bought the dresses they picked. I also told them to pick their own shoes (don’t care what color/style), and to pick their own hair and makeup. The consistency will be in the pearls I bought them all and the bouquets they’ll all be carrying.
    I understand wanting a cohesive look, but I also understand how much it can suck having to wear something you don’t feel beautiful in. If I hate the overall look I can just get prints in black & white. DONE!
    So, NO, I would not purposely choose something for them that would make them look less attractive. I LOVE these girls and the reason I chose them to stand with me had everything to do with that love and nothing to do with how they look. ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 73
    1156 posts
    Bumble bee

@serenitea:  Right?! And yes it was the one on the right! Seriously everyone looked soo good in it, and she had 8 BM’s of all different shapes and sizes. She just didn’t like that drapey piece in front -_- The ones we ended up getting were very pretty but it was touch and go for a while on whether we’d all be paying $150-200 for a fugly and uncomfortable dress lol. I mean, we would have done it but we wouldn’t have been happy about it. Also, she made us all have the same hair, earrings, bracelet, shoes, etc and didn’t pay for any of it as well as having a super short engagement (I’m talking two and a half months) so we had to come up with all of the money really fast.

And she was really frustrated by all of this crap, but she took it all on. It didn’t have to be as nearly as difficult as she made it. Again, not worth it. At least I know what I’m NOT going to do at my wedding lol.

Post # 74
    1156 posts
    Bumble bee

@MrsPuddingface:  Side Note – I can’t wait to see how your wedding colors, decor, etc turn out because those are the colors we are thinking about using!

Post # 75
    979 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

I only have two bridesmaids and one bridesman. For the girls, I told them to find any black dress they want. Whatever they’ll be comfortable in and what they like.

Same with the shoes. Any red shoe. Heels, flats, both. Whatever they want to wear and what they like.

I’m paying for their hair, whatever they want and I have an army of Pro Make-Up artists (lucky to have friends in make-up places :D) to do them up however they want.

My two bridesmaids are both married (well one will be in a month!) and I trust them completely. I’m the last to get married, and I have no doubts that either of them would eveen want to try to overshadow me, I want them to look like themselves, and their own personality to show through their outfits. I also want them to be comfortable enough to be in the dress and shoes all day, and dance the night away also!

I have a small wedding party of people I love, who are like my family and I couldn’t imagine making them look ‘ugly’ on purpose to make me look better.!

Post # 76
    356 posts
    Helper bee

No!  Even on a purely selfish level, do people really want people looking ugly in their wedding photos?  I want them to feel as comfortable as possible and want them to be cute.  I gave them guidelines – color, material, and length- and then let them choose which particular dress suited them best.  I paid for their dresses and am paying for their makeup, they choose any shoes and accessories they want The one thing I was a bit selfish on was color.  I chose a vivid turquoise.  Maybe a cooler pool blue would have suited them better.  But at least I didn’t choose yellow, which I wanted!  It’s not easy for many to pull off yellow, so I let that go.

The topic ‘I know you're the bride and you want us to look ugly…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors