Post # 1
Hey Bees! I’m asking this here because I need quick answers and I am low key freaking out and you guys are super quick and reliable.
So I was cleaning my bathroom and scrubbed our toliet bowl with bleach. While I let the bleach sit, I cleaned the countertops and then I flushed the water. Then I thought I would wipe the toliet seat with bleach spray so that I wouldn’t be mixing chemicals. As I was cleaning the seat, some of the spray fell into the water and I wasn’t bothered because I thought, “same chemical.” However, when I almost finished cleaning the seat, I noticed I had actually been using spray with ammonia…
I turned on all the fans and opened the windows and took my dog to the park for an hour.
Is there a chance I poisoned the air in our house? Are we safe?? Or am I just freaking out because I had flushed in between the bleach and spilling a little bit of ammonia spray?
Post # 2
Open the windows and turn a fan on if you’re that nervous. If it hasn’t bothered you now, it won’t.
Post # 3
Oh, if you accidentally mix ammonia and bleach you will KNOW. Indeed, there’s no way you can be unsure or not know. So if you aren’t wheezing and struggling to breathe, you are FINE. There’s almost no in-between. You flushed in between, meaning that all the water in the bowl was replaced before you sprayed something with a small amount of ammonia, most of which probably didn’t even touch the water. You are FINE. Trust me; I’ve mixed the two and I know what it’s like. I’m lucky I didn’t end up in the emergency room (stupidity on my part).
Post # 5
Ok thank you! I could never be a chemist because my fear of chemicals is greater than my fear of spiders haha! 😅
Post # 6
Trying to make your own chloramine? Lol. I’m sure you and your pup are ok, and you won’t make that mistake again.
Post # 7
OMG, this is so true! I have done it! I’m pretty sure I made mustard gas. It was unbearable. Your eyes and lungs just burn like crazy.
The only solution I have found that works long term is to have Dh clean the bathrooms.
Post # 8
Next time you are in need fo urgent information, call Poison Control.
Post # 9
bluesky355 : you’re fine now. You’d know it if you weren’t. But maybe take this as impetus to swap out this toxic cleaners for something safer and more environmentally friendly (: it’s not necessary to use bleach or ammonia in your bathroom (and really terrible for the environment) unless you’re trying to cover up a murder scene… go pick up some method toilet bowl cleaner and bathroom cleaner (smells like mint and eucalyptus…yummy!). No more worries about toxic fumes or weird reactions and your bathroom will be just as clean!
and as julies1949 : said – in the future, if you’re worried…poison control. Not wedding bee 🤦🏻♀️😉
Post # 10
If you had actually mixed those two things you would not be posting to us. You would be running away. Also most consumer grade items that aren’t just a pure chemical (like bleach) are formulated so that you can’t accidentally create chemical weapons as long as you don’t straight up mix them.