- 9 years ago
- Wedding: October 2010
I didn’t have a bridal shower, so I’m completely ignorant when it comes to showers and here i am, 19 weeks pregnant and my BFF offered to throw me a baby shower! So we know that we want it to be a couple’s shower at which we’ll learn and reveal the baby’s gender (we’re doing the whole “write down the sex and put it in a sealed envelope” and then doing the reveal with our friends and family). Other than that, I’m a little clueless about certain things. Any advice you could give as to the following (and beyond!) would be most appreciated.
1. My BFF offered to throw the shower for me, but does that mean she’s expected to pay for it? I don’t know if I’d feel comfortable with that–how do I approach the subject of payment?
2. I’ve never been a big fan of the whole “watch the pregnant lady open presents,” esp. because we’re planning on inviting DH’s guy buddies too! Is this something people are going to be disappointed about and is there some sort of work-around?
3. I’ve always felt a bit weirded out about registering (I mean, we just got married 1.5 years ago and here we are, askign the same people to give us things!)–SHOULD I feel that way? My friend assures me that it’s not a big deal and I should definitely register. “If they don’t want to contribute, they won’t come,” she points out.
4. I’d like to invite my close friends who are out of state, just because I’d like them to feel included–but I don’t want to be gift-grabby. Can I send them the invite with a separate email heads-up just saying something along the lines of, “Hey, we sent you an invite to the shower because we love you so, but please don’t feel compelled…” They ARE our close friends…
5. We don’t really want to do any cheesy games (the ribbon hat, the smushed candy-in-diapers thing), but wondered if there were any lighthearted games that we could do that would be a little less “femme-y” and more appropriate for girls AND guys? We considered a “name the baby” sign or a raffle for guessing the baby’s sex or something. We’ve also got a lot of friends with their own babies and toddlers–maybe we could do something for THEM? I dunno, maybe we don’t need games? But then, if there’s no opening presents and no games “then it isn’t a shower!” my mom wailed. Any ideas?
6. Finally, when are you supposed to have your shower? I always thought it was fairly late–like the 7th or 8th month. I don’t think my BFF meant NOW, but I guess she wants to start planning…
Any other advice from you bees would be really helpful.