(Closed) I need help… and don't know what to do. (immigration help)

posted 4 years ago in Emotional
Post # 2
4717 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

Go to the authorities and get a restraining order?  He sounds abusive… if not now, definitely potentially.

Post # 3
194 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: mountain venue

Divorce now. This is going to get much worse, if its gotten this bad already.  Get a locking gas cap. Dont feed into his bullshit. If he fucks up the apartment, take it to court, just don’t let him treat you like this

. Divorce, then call immigration to ship his ass back 

Post # 4
46595 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

See a lawyer.

Post # 5
343 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

scaredanddontknowwhattodoo:  Are you his sponsor for his greencard/residency? If I recall correctly, then divorce doesn’t necessarily void your responsibility as a sponsor for his residency. However, I guess this also depends on what forms you filed. 

Post # 6
2783 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

….I’m pretty sure that avoiding sugar in your gastank isn’t a valid reason to stay married to someone you can’t stand for another year and a half.

Post # 7
610 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2016

Get a lawyer. Divorce him and get a restraining order if need be. You need him out of your life asap

Post # 8
1379 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: February 2015 - Chapel on Base

Personally, you need to go to the authorities before you even bring up divorce.  Have all your agencies involved then get the lawyer and kick his behind out. 

Post # 9
1608 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Do you have a friend who could stay with you?  Get friend over.  File police compliant.  Inform immigration.  

Post # 10
7339 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

Why on earth would you want an angry person who’s got a grudge against you to be allowed to stay in the country? Sounds like divorcing him ASAP would be to your advantage. Get a restraining order and park your car somewhere else till he goes back overseas.

Post # 11
14494 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

I would start taping your conversations. What he said could be considered a terroristic threat and with the state of alert right now and the fact he hasn’t been nationalized then they can hold him in custody until his deportment hearing. I’ve seen them hold people for less. You don’t need him in country to get a divorce. Call a lawyer immediately and either stay somewhere else (which I recommend) that won’t know where it is or have someone stay with you. Make sure you file a police report right away. 

Post # 12
8 posts

I’m going through the immigration process via marriage and think I can help out a bit.

On the personal side of things, get away now. He is threatening you and that is not acceptable, regardless of his immigration status. If you are not in love with him and see no hope of reconciliation (which, why would you if he is as nasty as he sounds) then divorce him.

Onto the legal side of things… Book an Infopass appointment at your local USCIS office and withdraw your I-864 (the financial support contract). Without you being his primary sponsor (you can have co-sponsors but the spouse must always be the primary one) then the application is voided. His papers will be denied, meaning no work permit, no greencard and he will be subject to deportation (should he wind up in jail etc, immigration do not necessarily come chasing after everyone who is denied, they tell them to leave by a specific date and “trust” them to do so). Withdrawing the I-864 also gets you off the hook, as if it is processed and you end up divorcing then you are responsible for him not to become a public burden for 10 years or until citizenship.

You can only withdraw the I-864 if the application is still pending, so hurry to it! In your post you say you’re looking for a way for him to stay? Why? I think he has used you for immigration purposes and it is best if he returns home. If you continue with the application and stay married for immigration purposes for your spouse, then you can be accused of immigration fraud and fined for your participation in this.

So say you’ve withdrawn the I-864 and cancelled the adjustment of status application… Have you got proof of him threatening you to stay in the marriage until the 2 year requirement is over? If you have proof, take it to the Infopass appointment as this will show immigration his true intentions and make it easier for them to deny the greencard. 

My next advice would be to stay far away from him, and file for a restraining order mentioning the threats. If he finds you are cancelling his greencard app by withdrawing your sponsor papers then things could turn ugly as he has already threatened you. Also, with him needing the greencard he could panic and file false abuse charges on you, filing for VAWA. VAWA is for immigrants who have spouses that abuse them. It is a way for new immigrants to file for their greencard without the help of their spouse, and so is claimed quite frequently on false abuse charges, meaning the immigrant can stay but not have to be involved with their spouse. I think it is best if you aren’t alone with him from now on in order to protect yourself from more threats and potential false abuse claims. 

There is a website that is helpful in these situations called visajourney.com. I think you should take a look at it. Whatever you decide to do, please keep yourself safe. I hope this works out well for you.

The topic ‘I need help… and don't know what to do. (immigration help)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors