I need your opinion….venue renovations and timeline.

posted 4 months ago in Venue
Post # 2
Member
4401 posts
Honey bee

I would not take a chance on a new venue with no operating history.

Eta: there is also a good chance construction could get delayed again.

Post # 3
Member
62 posts
Worker bee

Hmm.. I personally wouldnt, because ANYONE can imagine what a space can eventually become. Doesnt mean they have the ability or the funds to do so. AND because of this whole virus situation.

Post # 4
Member
1630 posts
Bumble bee

Well, we were due to marry first, in June. And buy a home next spring. 

Then covid came. Our wedding was cancelled. 

And as luck would have it, we came across a divorce sale in our preferred area, a perfect home for us. 

So…we put in an offer and it was accepted! 

Now our wedding money is combining with our savings so we can pay 35 percent down. 

Our officiant is also our lawyer so we decided she should just marry us during closing. 

And our venue rescheduled us for a year later.  2021. 

Even better, our new home is right near the venue.  So, we decided to only do our ceremony/renewal there, and have the reception at our home, which has an acreage. 

So it’s saving us money, too. 

Point is, you can be flexible and change the order of things and timelines if it makes more sense to you as things unfold. 

If you’d rather don’t he home first, do it. I personally really wanted to be married before we bought a home, but the situation and opportunities made sense. 

Not sure how I’d feel about booking an unknown venue, do you have other options? 

Post # 5
Member
3855 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2017 - City, State

I wouldn’t put money down on something that wasn’t finished. You have no idea if construction will be delayed for some reason, if they’ll run out of funds before it’s finished. And I would wonder how well they would actually run a wedding. Do they have any experience or will this be their first rodeo?

I’d only go with an experienced venue that was already completed.

Post # 6
Member
601 posts
Busy bee

i probably wouldn’t.  i considered a new hotel in my hometown as a potential venue and construction got super delayed and it didn’t end up opening for a year after my wedding.  

if they are willing to give you some sort of significant discount for booking an “untried” venue, it might be something to consider, but if they just want you to pay full price, i’d say no.  

Post # 7
Member
2893 posts
Sugar bee

That would be a huge nope for me – way too much economic uncertainty right now.

Post # 8
Member
7797 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

Nope. Six months from where they are now to finished seems ridiculously optimistic without the current situation and unrealistic during a global pandemic. I wouldn’t risk it. What happens if they are using the deposits they receive now to fund the renovation and then don’t finish in time or don’t finish at all and don’t have the funds to give money back and you have no venue? 

Post # 10
Member
1200 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2019

How far is the church from the possible reception location, 1 hour away from your home town? I would be fine if both were am hour drive. Are there hotels nearby?

Post # 12
Member
1200 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2019

View original reply
@Stephanie23:  Is there a closer church to the reception?

Post # 13
Member
4401 posts
Honey bee

That’s a recipe for drunk driving. And a very far drive between ceremony and reception. If you have your heart set on the reception venue, find a different church and set up rate blocks with a few hotels.

Post # 14
Member
6142 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 2017

View original reply
@Stephanie23:  either find a venue with hotels available near by or provide transportation for your guests from the venue to their home. 

Leave a comment


Find Amazing Vendors