(Closed) I spent $170 on a hair/makeup trial and HATED IT!

posted 9 years ago in Beauty
  • poll: How many hair/makeup trials did you have?
    None : (12 votes)
    22 %
    1 : (31 votes)
    56 %
    2 : (7 votes)
    13 %
    3+ : (5 votes)
    9 %
  • Post # 3
    7082 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2009

I only did one, but I was super happy with the results.  It sounds like this person is not a good match for you.  I’d move on and find someone else.  That’s why we do a trial, right? πŸ™‚

Post # 4
    14186 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2009

Go to a new lady! She sounds awful. I can’t believe she didn’t use foundation and everything. red eyeliner? that sounds freaky. Brown lipstick only looks good if you have a darker skin tone IMO. It looks like i ate a fudgsicle on me.

Do you live near a makeup counter? They do makeovers all the time. If you go during the week they are usually free. Some charge like $50 on a Saturday or require you buy X amount of product. My lady is Clinique at Nordstrom. I LOVED loved loved my trial. She is free on the SAturday of my wedding too. I"m going to buy oodles of stuff from her and tip her though. I don’t really believe in "freebies" to an extent. 

I can’t believe she didn’t use product. Honestly, she sounds AWFUL and you should go somewhere else even if it costs you again. Like i’ve suggested elsewhere, hair salon schools are a good place for hair, too. They’re cheap ($25/updo) and they do a good job. Just make sure you tell the receptionist you want someone who is graduating soon. 

Post # 5
    1156 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 2005 - Westside Loft, New York

My trial was ok and my day of makeup and hair was horrendous.  thank god my moh saved the day and redid it for me. 

if you were as unhappy as you sound, i would def get another trial with someone else.  if you don’t look good on your big day, you won’t feel good.  if cost is an issue, you could try makeup counters?  that’s how mrs. firefly found her fab makeup artist! 

Post # 7
    133 posts
    Blushing bee

The salon I’m using charges a discounted price for true trials like yours and the same price as the wedding day if you want to walk out of the trial with a finished look (I’m doing this so I will be fixed and pretty for my bridal shoot). You can’t get back what you spent there, but you can be bad advertising for them and go elsewhere. See if you can do a free consultation BEFORE your next trial so you have firm details on what exactly will be happening and how much will be charged. This will help also help you find out before it’s too late if someone is shady and/or spendy.

Post # 8
    558 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2009

Um…. you paid for that? Find a new stylist/makeup artist! Any reputable cosmetologist would have everything they need for any client on hand. Especially if they knew you were coming ahead of time, and I’m assuming you made an appt. She should have listened to you about your hair, it’s your hair and you know it best! Was this at a salon, or is this lady freelance? If it was at a salon I suggest you call the salon and ask to speak to the owner. Explain what happened and why you’re upset. Maybe they can offer a different (read:more professional) stylist? Good luck, and I’m so sorry this happened to you!

Post # 9
    1156 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 2005 - Westside Loft, New York

if you don’t have many options, do you think they’d redo another trial for free/at a discounted cost because you were so unhappy with the first one?

Post # 10
    196 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: October 2009

I would call the salon and complain – maybe you’ll get some money back or else a credit towards another service if you don’t feel comfortable going there for the actual day. 

Do any of your BMs do hair or make-up?  My Maid/Matron of Honor is awesome and doing make-up and I’m having her do mine.  The last wedding we were at in MN – she came in and did my Mom’s make-up and the salon people asked for her card.  She was like "Sorry, I’m an attorney and live in Chicago!" 

Ask around, you might be surprised at the resources right in your family and friends! πŸ™‚

Post # 11
    426 posts
    Helper bee

That really stinks…. it doesn’t seem like your stylist had very good communication with you. 

I would definitely call and express your unhappiness with the results of your trial.  Maybe you can get some of your $ back to put towards a new trial.

This person is not a good match for you – I think you should try to find a new person to do your hair and makeup.  

Post # 12
    174 posts
    Blushing bee

Another option is to bring your own products. Go to the make-up counter where you live, get the free make-over, buy the products, and bring them with you to your next trial and day of. Ask for a discount with your new stylist. At least then you will have products you like and are comfortable with on your face.

I have fair skin, too, and would never wear red eye liner. That’s just weird. It would look like I’d been crying. Or a vampire. In fact, my coworker wore red eyeliner to a Halloween thing b/c she was dressed up as a vampire. 

Get yourself a new stylist and make-up artist! You deserve the best –esp for that price. 

Post # 13
    700 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

I wish I could reverse time for you and other brides, but she should have given you EXACTLY the same product and everything that you were going to receive on the wedding day.  I think I would have probably spoken up.  

And you’re thinking, thanks, JB, because I left my time-machine in my other pants, but for all of you brides heading off to trial appointments soon, SPEAK UP!  If you are not happy with your look on your trial day, it’s your person’s job to make sure that you do like it….so that they get your business again!  

And if you feel that you haven’t received what you were charged for with any vendor, speak up about the payment as well.  

Maybe I’m a tad more of a bitch than needed in all situations, but I definitely think the way to go is to be proactive.  You can be nice and proactive at the same time.  I just struggle with the "nice" part sometimes!  πŸ˜‰ 

Post # 16
    303 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: March 2010

Congrats on the more satisfying second trial! I understand having the nice-girl syndrome…not wanting to inconvenience anyone else and all that, but I’ve learned over the years that when it comes to my hair and face…I have to speak up and tell someone, "No, that’s not exactly what I meant." Congrats to you for being more proactive!!

The topic ‘I spent $170 on a hair/makeup trial and HATED IT!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors