(Closed) I think I might be allergic .. I'm hoping I'm just sick

posted 4 years ago in Pets
Post # 3
947 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

@DiamondsandViolets:  yourbody can eventually become “used”to your cat. My now husbamd was allergic to dogs and had a few rough days/weeks when he first met my dog. Once we started living together the allergies began to subside.

also, take Claritin!

Post # 4
14495 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Talk to your doctor and ask for a scratch test. That’s really the only way to know for certain. Personally, I would do two of them with two different doctors as I’ve had conflicting results before.

Post # 5
1130 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

I have an allergy to cats – I am allergic to their saliva and the dander (which gets in the air and gives me breathing problems). Since cats lick themselves, touching them is a no go for me.

I would go to your doctor and have them refer you to an allergy specialist who will give you a scratch test. Do the test twice if you can – I’ve had some false negatives and positives on occasion. Live with your cat for a couple more weeks and see if things get better. If not, then you are probably allergic.

Post # 6
3130 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

@DiamondsandViolets:  plus one to what @mstellah:  said. I was slightly allergic to my cats growing up and was pretty (runny nose, ect) and when I got my boxer I would have hives after contact with fur nails and saliva. It was really bad the first few months but eventually got WAY better. I almost never react now, and when I do it is after I have been away from him for a long tim (12+hours)

If it doesnt get better, I would suggest talking to your doc- they may be able to give you a shot/drugs that will help!

Post # 7
227 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I’m allergic to my dogs. I know I am and that I would probably have better allergies year round if I didn’t have them, but I take claritin every night and really don’t feel too bad most of the time. The trade off is worth it to me and I would never give them up.

If I was severely sick for a long time I would, but like others said, your body seems to adjust and you can only see minor symptoms.

Post # 8
268 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

In my case, when we first got our dog (inside dog), I of course spent a lot of time playing and cuddling with him, and my allergies started acting up! (Itchy/watery eyes, sore/scratchy throat, sneezing).  I had never had bad allergies to animals before, but I think one living in our house that I was constantly petting did the trick. However, we bought a hepa fan for the living room, and a vacuum with a hepa filter as well. I took Allegra (fexofenadine) every day for about 3 months. After a week or so of starting the med and using the fan, my allergies didn’t bother me anymore. Now, 6 months later we barely use the fan, and I ran out of Allegra and haven’t bought more. Still no allergies! In my case, I guess my body just got used to the dog.

I hope you get to keep your kitten! I love cats (I love my dog, too) but Darling Husband does NOT want a cat. 

Post # 9
3340 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2013 - Rhode Island

As others said, you can be tested to know for sure.

I am allergic to cats, but that hasn’t kept me from owning one for 9+ years.  I build up an immunity to him and only take Claritin rarely.  It’s about finding the right balance.  I can’t be around him too much but I can’t stay away from him for too long either.  I also NEVER touch my eyes.  That’s death.  Do you break out in hives from petting your kitten?

The topic ‘I think I might be allergic .. I'm hoping I'm just sick’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors