(Closed) I think I might buy this dress!!! Need thoughts on it vs other!

posted 11 years ago in Dress
  • poll: Top dress or bottom dress (that is 1/6th the price but might need changes)?
    Get the top dress, it's ready to go as-is and you've wanted it for forever now : (97 votes)
    88 %
    Take a risk and go for the second one, more unique, lots of leftover money if you want to change it! : (13 votes)
    12 %
  • Post # 17
    15 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: June 2011

both dresses are beautiful and unique but like other posters said, if budget is a big concern, go for the cheaper one…you seem to really like it and you would really get to personalize it!

Post # 19
    1722 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

@MsInterpret: I understand about being thrifty. I’m the same way. I’m from Minnesota and you are right! It is so unpredictable; it could be 75 and sunny or 40 with some snow still on the ground. It’s beautiful up there, though.

Post # 21
    3856 posts
    Honey bee

Okay, forgive the ghetto paint job, but I think IF you took the sheer neck panel out, it would look okay to add a corset back. Is that what you want in a dress though? Never seen you mention that – and it’s getting further from the lace/sheer back look that you loved.

Where is it too small? The waist or the hips? Because the corset would add more the higher you went, as evidenced in my crappy paint job:

I don’t think you could have the lacing go much lower than the middle of your butt without 1) turning it into a mermaid dress and 2) looking weird and 3) making it incredibly uncomfortable to sit in. So you’re only going to add a very small amount to the hip measurement. The waist will be able to let out more.

No idea on what this would cost a seamstress to do. :/

Post # 25
    4437 posts
    Honey bee

Okay, I’m going to be blunt….. If you need 3-5 inches in the waist, I dont think there is, realistically, any way to make that dress fit. From what I can tell in the pics, there are no major seams besides the side seams, and I highly doubt they each have 2-2.5 inches of seam allowance in them (i’m not counting the back seam around the zipper, because they usually have very little allowance). A corset would make the top absurdly large and would probably cut into the ruffles in an awkward way. Personally, I think a corset would look really strange on that dress.

The gusseting thing could work, but you’d need to find a very, very good seamstress or else it will come out looking exactly like what it is…. a panel sewn in the side to make it fit. I’m not sure how it could be blended to make it look like it was suppsoed to be that way, thats a question for a more experienced seamstress than I. I will say that this option would probably bump the price because the seamstress would have to detach the whole top tier and re-gather it to distribute the fabric more evenly across the bodice to allow for the new panels, this may leave the top tier looking kind of flat because you’d be taking some of the volume out of it.

My concern is that if you take too much of the gathering out, then the top tier may become almost fitted to the body. You’d get that “bell” effect, like when you spin in a dress that isnt a full circle skirt…. I cant think of a better way to describe it…. Like, the bottom hem of the top tier would be too tight and would lay too close to your thighs and disrupt the flowy lines of the skirt.

As for the last pic of that collar that you posted, now that could probably be done pretty easily. lol

Sorry, I really didnt mean to try and rain on your parade.

Post # 26
    391 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

I would go for the first one. It’s more figure-hugging, while the second one looks like it’s too big even for the model.

Post # 27
    190 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: May 2010

@shaunna:  that sentence has no logic behind it whatsoever.  you have heard of these things called tailors correct?

@MsInterpret:  girl you ARE giving yourself headaches-that other dress is $800!!!  are there any vintage clothing stores around you?  i know the internet is tempting, but it seems like you won’t be sure unless you try it on first. 

have you tried anything at DB that resembles that last dress?  i think they call it a goddess style or something.  i’ll keep my eyes open for a bigger than 25″ waist (seriously how the hell did those women do it??) on lacey vintage gowns in my ramblings.

Post # 28
    241 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: November 2010

I love the first one! Go with it 🙂

The topic ‘I think I might buy this dress!!! Need thoughts on it vs other!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors