Post # 1
My fiance proposed last January and I immediately went into planning mode. Our son has some medical issues so I would plan for a while, then concentrate on him for a while..back and forth I went. It got to the point, I needed to solely concentrate on his issue and our journey of finding the right doctor, etc.
We traveled to LA and then to Boston. We’ve now settled on the doctor in Boston and have a plan. He will need to have surgery which will keep him in the hospital for a week and then home for 4-6weeks. He will then have surgery every 4-6 months until he’s a teen (he’s two now). We don’t know when the surgeries will start, his body will determine that (xrays taken every 6 months to determine this).
The little money we had saved has been spent on our travels to find a doctor. I haven’t done any planning in months due to our journey and our wedding is supposed to be in May. I freak when I look at a calendar realizing how quickly May will be here and so much to do yet. We’ve tossed around the idea of pushing it out a year. The photographer and DJ will hold my deposit, the reception venue will not so we’ll be out $1000.
Losing that kind of money is HUGE but when I think about having yet another year to plan and make sure everything is taken care of I get a huge sigh of relief. My son may have surgery in this time so the more time to plan for the wedding the better. My fiance will also have another season of working to save $ as well.
My fears…hating my dress come 2013 as well as everything else I had envisioned (decor, songs, etc..) Any advice on this department?
Post # 3
First, I am sorry your son has to go through all of that. You are a strong woman for doing it all while planning a wedding. We pushed our wedding out a year just a month out from our original date, so I have been there. We had my dad marry us legally on our original date and had our wedding a year later. I kept with our original vision of the wedding, although I did upgrade my dress. My original one was ruined by a seamstress, not that I changed my mind. I still love my original dress more than my second dress, and am still sad it didn’t get worn.
If you ever need to chat or vent about wedding changes you are more than welcome to PM me anytime.
Post # 5
If it’s a financial issue of not being able to plan and buy exactly what you want, I’d wait. I wouldn’t worry too much about the dress or decor… that can be changed if you really HATE it, but chances are if you love it now you’ll still love it in a year (just don’t go shopping or looking at more dresses!)
If it’s just about time… well I think 5 months is plenty especially considering you already have the major things like venue and photographer. I’d be more concerned about the financial aspect.
Post # 6
I too just made the decision to postpone my wedding for a year. Its hard decision to make but what it comes down to ultimately is making a decision that makes you happy nd meets the needs of our family. Right now it seems like you know what you need to do, but part of you is struggling to let go of the date (and money). 1000 is a lot of money, but the value of stress and happiness for your family is well worth more than that much!
For me personally the finances of planning a wedding, while graduating in a month, with a fiance who hasn’t been able to find work was just too stressful. We made the decision to loose some of our deposit money bur knowing full well that the day we get married will be well work the wait and it is important for us to start our marriage out right.
If you need anyone you can always PM me as well- keep your head up and things wil work out.
Post # 7
THANK YOU so much for your reply. I’m glad to hear the advice from someone who has been there. Our wedding is supposed to be May 19, 2012 so I think we’ll just change it to May 18, 2013. We’ll have been together 5 years in March so we don’t feel the need to hurry up and get married, we’re not going anywhere.
Our initial reason was our son was going to have a fusion when he was 3 (February) and I couldn’t imagine dealing with his out of state surgery a couple months before our wedding. Now that he’s not having a fusion we still aren’t out of woods, it’s possible he could have it before our wedding or right around it. We simply do not know. It could also end up being around our wedding in 2013 as well but I feel if it does we will be better prepared with the wedding.
All I can say is if it’s a beautiful day this coming May and shitty on my day in 2013 I’m going to be really bummed 🙂