i’m glad your cat is doing better. But I would definitely stop using Pine Sol. It’s actually really bad for cats. The shelter I work at will turn away or throw out donations of Pine Sol IMMEDIATELY so no one tries to use it with the cats.
Just some things I found on it:
**I recently became aware of cleaners that pose serious health issues to pets, particularly any cleaner or disinfectant that contains the word “sol”, that is cleaners such as Lysol and Pine-sol. The culprit is the ingredient phenol, which in many cases may not even be listed on the label of such cleaners. This not only means the cleaners like the “traditional” pine-scented Pine-sol or Lysol cleaners, but even the pleasantly scented cleaners manufactured by the same companies, such as Pine-sol’s choices of scents such as Lemon, Lavender, Sparkling Wave, and so forth. It should be noted that shelters, and pet rescuers have eliminated the use of such cleaners due to their toxicity to animals.
Now one would never expose children to such cleaners, but does one give a thought about their pets? Here’s are two classic scenarios of what I mean by seemingly and innocently exposing their pet to these toxic cleaners and may not even realize the harm they are causing to their pet. Scenario one: You’ve just cleaned your kitchen floor with a Pine-sol cleaner and the floor is drying. Your dog or cat comes into the kitchen while the floor is still drying. The pet gets the cleaner on their paws, then later on, the pet grooms itself cleaning off their paws…bingo, they just ingested some of that cleaner. Scenario two: The kitchen floor you cleaned hours ago with one of these cleaners is now dry. It’s feeding time for your pet, and you give your pet moist food on a dish or in a bowl. The pet gets some of the food onto the floor and eats it off from the floor. The moisture of the food absorbs into it some of the chemical cleaner even though the floor was dry. Once again, you’ve unknowingly exposed your pet to that chemical cleaner.
Therefore, you may be inadvertently exposing your pet to severe health risks every time you use any one of these chemical cleaners Now here are the alarming facts about the ingredient of phenol that is found in many chemical type disinfectant, antiseptic and anti-bacterial cleaners, particularly the ones containing the word “sol”. Phenol is in itself a highly toxic compound derivative of coal tar, and the health hazard symptoms it can create in pets, range from liver and kidney damage, respiratory problems; phenol is also caustic to mucous membranes, and since cats are more sensitive to phenol, even just a few drops that are accidentally ingested can cause death. While the following symptoms, such as panting, drooling, vomiting, voiding green or black urine, muscle tremors, among other symptoms (1) may be caused by other health problems, if your pet shows any of these signs shortly after you have used a chemical cleaner, your pet no doubt had been exposed and ingested the cleaner, and it’s important to take your pet to a veterinarian immediately!
- Pine Oils : Pine Sol ® is a cleaning solution containing high concentrations of pine oil alcohols derived from pine tree wood. Turpentine is another such preparation consisting of pine oil terpenes. Cats are particularly sensitive to pine oils because they lack an efficient liver enzyme system to detoxify them.
- Phenols : As mentioned above cats are sensitive to Lysol cleaner but not only because of their sensitivity to the alcohol in the product. This cleaner also contains phenols and cats have problems detoxifying this type of poison due to the low efficiency of the detoxifying liver enzymes.
Not trying to make you freak out or feel like a bad pet parent, just informing you because I had NO IDEA they were bad before I worked at my shelter!