(Closed) I want to hear your induction stories…happy, sad, scary, wonderful…

posted 5 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 4
1638 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

@SouthernSunshine:  I was induced because I developed pre-eclampsia two days before my dute date.

Since my blood pressure was critically high, I was placed on magnisum to stop any seizures. This counteracted the poticin. I was having strong contractions, however they were not opening my uterus.

After 35 hours, my labor was declared “failed” and I had a C-section.


Now my best friend just had a son 3 weeks ago and was induced. She was in labor for less than 8 hours and only pushed for 5 minutes before she literally almost laughed him out!!

Post # 6
561 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I was induced because I was 37 (advanced maternal age) and 5 days post-date. I was at 2cm at my office visit a few days before, and around 30% effaced.

I tried all the usual suspects to jump-start labor – sex, walking, evening primrose oil, spicy food, food heavy on oregeno…nada.

I checked into the hospital at 1130 at night. I was 4cm. They got me hooked up to the pit at 130. We called our doula around 6am. Things got really painful around…uh…9am or so? My doula got the doc to take me off the pit drip so I could labor in the tub (my water still hadn’t broken) to try and deal with the pain. When they took me off the pit hookup, the OB and nurse said, “oooh….that’s WAY too high.” I don’t know what the heck was going on, but I was having less than 60 sec of rest between ctx. Somehow, the pit dosage was too high, and that had a lot to do with my pain levels.

My body decided it didn’t need the pit anymore, and kept up the ctx while I was in the tub. That only lasted 30 min or so before I caved and asked for an epidural. BEST DECISION EVER. By the time the lovely anaesthesiologist got the epi placed, I was 8.5 cm. So the intense pain was me approaching transition. Got the last 1.5 cm pretty quickly, and was ready to push. I could still feel the ctx, so I knew when to push – around an hour of pushing, and the little man came out at 11:09am. I had a minor tear with a few stitches but no real pain afterwards.

So, did the evening primrose oil help my cervix ripen before I went to the hospital? Maybe. I know being 4cm when the pit started was a good thing, because I wasn’t starting from zero. My doula called it one of the best inductions she’s ever seen.

Do you have a doula or labor assistant of some kind? I know that helped us – she reminded us of other techniques to try, and helped advocate for our wishes with the hospital staff.

Post # 7
152 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

I was induced at 39 weeks because I had high blood pressure prior to pregnancy. While my Bridal Party remained fantastic for my entire pregnancy my doctor didn’t want to chance it spiking up. I went to hospital at 8 pm October 7th. I was only 1.5 cm dialated and 25%effaced. They inserted a certatec pill at 9 pm. When they checked me 4 hours later I was still 1.5 dialated and 50% effaced. I was contracting (i couldn’t feel it) enough that they couldn’t use another certatec without it potentially stressing the baby. So we moved to pitocin arond 2 am. I was on pitocin ALL DAY long..my body was contracting but it wasn’t painful… it was just like my tummy was tightening frequently. At 7:30pm on Oct 8th (24 hours after arriving at the hospital) I was 3 cm dialated, 50% effaced, with the baby hardly engaged (at a -4). They broke my water to hopefully get things really going. Contractions that I could feel started at 830 pm…going from my lower belly to lower back. I opted for an epidural quickly because after already being in the hospital for 24 hours i had no idea how long I would have to deal with the pain =) Epidural helped, but I was still able to feel and move my right side/leg. At 2 am on the 9th, I was 9 cm dialated and 100% effaced, but baby was at a 1 station. Contractions were intense and felt like I really needed to poo, Doctors said to call when that feeling became more intense. They came back in a few to put me on oxygen and have me lay on left side because baby’s heart rate was dropping during contractions. So at 2:30 am I started to push. My contractions stayed 4-5 minutes apart for the duration of my labor. I pushed for 2.5 hours and finally our baby boy arrived! I had a third degree tear…which I didn’t feel at all thanks to the epidural.

In talking to the doctors after delivery, they said that many people who are induced and progress slowly like myself end up with a c-section. I am glad I was able to labor and push our little one out vaginally, and I imagine I tore like I did becuase he was not fully engaged at the start of the pushing. If I had it my way, I would have waited as opposed to being induced becuaes baby was clearly not ready to leave yet…but I completely trusted my doctors with the induction and didn’t want to chance anything with my blood pressure. Hope this helps!

As a side note, I love this question because heading into the induction I had literally ONLY been told easy/fast inducation stories. The morning of induction I was talking to a friend who told me she had 2 LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNG inductions. Thank goodness she shared that with me since i was there for the long haul. If she hadn’t shared I would have been much more stressed about the slow progress.

Post # 8
561 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

@hirsche:  Oy, lady. That is ROUGH.

Post # 9
7495 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2010

I was induced with both my girls, both delivered vaginally. Both times I was induced in the early morning and had my babies by the afternoon- 1st birth was 9 hrs, 2nd was 6 1/2hrs. Epidural both times. Episiotomy with 1st birth, small tear with 2nd- not a big deal either time. My births were super easy and uncomplicated- so don’t feel like all inductions are nightmares waiting to happen!

Post # 10
2226 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I was induced at exactly 37 weeks b/c I was diagnosed with preeclampsia at 33.5 weeks.  I wasn’t even dilated a little bit the Thursday before my Saturday induction.  On Friday evening, I went in to have cervadil placed.  This was a tablet placed behind my cervix to get dilation started.  The following morning I was having inconsistent contractions.  At about 9:30 Saturday morning, my OB came in to check me and I was at a “soft 2”.  So, she went ahead and broke my water and started the pitocin.  My fluids were started then as well since I made it perfectly clear that I wanted and epidural as soon as humanly possible. 
At around noon, they came in to do my epidural.  Shortly there after, or maybe around the same time, I was at a 4.  I was able to nap and have a snack and relax.  Around 4 or so, I woke up totally freaked out.  My mom (who is a nurse) thought I was maybe in transition.  My nurse said they weren’t planning on checking me for another hour or so since I was only at a 4 the last time I was checked.  They checked me anyway and I was at a 9.5.  They called my OB in and when she went to check me she said she saw a headful of dark brown hair!  So, it was go time!  I pushed for an hou and twenty minutes and my little dude was born.  I only needed 3 stiches and had a second degree internal tear.

The whole thing, start to finish from water breaking to delivery was less than 9 hours.  Even if you count from when I got there, it was still less than 24 hours.  I didn’t need any other intervention.  Even with my epidural, I progressed very quickly (I think without them turning up the pitocin a ton) and was still able to have a vaginal birth.

Post # 11
1444 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I was induced at 38 weeks due to pre-eclampsia and gestational diabetes.  Short story version:  induction started at 6:00 a.m., water manually broken at 12 p.m., and I had my daughter at 11:45 p.m.  I was able to have her vaginally, but barely as they were about ready to send me off for a c-section.  I was not allowed an epidural because my labor was not progressing for a very long time.  Afterwards, I also required a blood transfusion.  Other than jaundice, my daughter was healthy.

Post # 12
98 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

My story is a combination of induction/on my own.  I was set to begin the induction process at 41weeks 3days.  I was supposed to go in Sunday morning for cervidil and depending on how that went, Monday I would be heading back for Pitocin.

Saturday I started contracting on my own and by 9pm we headed to the hospital.  I no longer needed cervidil, but because my contractions weren’t strong enough to do anything, we still went ahead with oxytocin.  They started me off at the lowest setting and slowly started increasing my dosage.  Unfortunately my baby didn’t react well to increased dosages and her heartrate started dropping at every contraction.  So they brought the dosage down to the lowest setting and left me there.  Luckily it still helped and 10 hours after starting oxytocin, I was ready to push my baby out.  I pushed all together for about 45 minutes, but more than half of that was actually not pushing and waiting for the doctor to get ready and for the them to set up the vacuum as baby girl needed help coming out (stupid umbilical cord).

The topic ‘I want to hear your induction stories…happy, sad, scary, wonderful…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors