purple sofia, a couple of things to remember:
1. Your FI dosen’t love you less if he can’t tell the difference between lilac and eggplant! I was always upset that my FI was not as excited as I was about the whole process, truth is, he is there for the long run, and dosen’t sweat the small details like I do!
2. If you pick BM that are your GF’s because they are wild party animals with you, then guess what ? They will be wild party animal BM’s, who usually don’t help stuff envelopes, or care how grandma is getting back to the nursing home, Pick carefully, better to have 1-2 close friends then people with the wrong intentions.
3. People will try all kinds of things. Mine is… suddenly everyone feels the needt o bring all their children and grandchildren, and neighbor kids, orphans and given the chance, Angela & Brad Pitt’s kids to my dinner! I was very clear on the invites, everyone knows it is an adult only reception, but damn if many people didn’t write “and children” in on their RSVP!
4. Have a flexible boss! That last month, you need at least 3 dress fittings, 3 meetings with caterer, florist, venue and pastor, that is right 15 times you must grovel to your boss, “can I leave early?” No one seems to want to meet with brides after 5pm!
5. Don’t buy too early. The vintage nacklace I had made on Esty did not work on my neckline with the last dress fitting! Many post on here are from brides who bought too early and change minds.
6.Give your self plenty of time to track people down. I had 72 invites go out, still waiting for 30 of them, and RSVP date was 7/8. Your hands are tied with seating charts, hotel rooms, OOT bags, and final count for the caterer until you get these people nailed down!
7.Don’t make rash decisions about your dress until you had your fittings. I was not in love with my dress at all, until a god like seamstress preformed sewing miracles on my dress, and now I am so very pleased, and confident in the dress.
8.It is one day. Let it go, man up, put on your big girl pants and let the drama roll off your back. My BM have tanned so much, their eyeballs actually glow! My FI got a summer buzz cut “forgetting” the wedding was 5 weeks away and NO WAY will it grow back in time! FI daughter ran off to the carnival and will be pregnant for the big day with her carny toothless baby daddy, one of my BM thinks my mom’s outfit is “too casual”, my sweet flower girl got taken away from her mom and placed in foster care, and no one likes that one of my entrees is vegan!
There are some things you cannot do ahead of time until you get your final guest count, but before the hectic times start, grab your FI, a bottle of wine, rent Runaway Bride, and write your own vows to each other. We are not going to say them at the ceremony, but we are going to read them to each other every anniv. It is the one wedding activity that I loved the most!