- 7 years ago
It’s always interesting to find out the differences in weddings. Budget, themes, location, and length differ from one wedding to another.
We found the top 15 most interesting wedding fun facts from the average costs to the meaning behind traditions.
1. Behind the wedding cake — Romans used to break a cake over the bride’s head to symbolize fertility or abundance, they would then eat the crumbs for good luck.
2. The average wedding engagement is 16 months
3. 11% of winter weddings are Christmas weddings.
4. The average cost of an American wedding is $22,000.
5. Rings are worn on the 4th finger of the left hand because it was thought a vein in that finger led straight to the heart.
6. A pearl engagement ring is said to be bad luck because it looks like a tear.
7. Before brides began wearing white in the 1840’s, they simply wore their ‘Sunday-Best’ to get married.
8. An average of 7,000 couples marry each day in the U.S.
9. The average wedding party size is 12.
10. Rain on your wedding day is considered good luck, according to Hindu tradition.
11. Brides wear ‘something old’ on their wedding day to symbolize continuity with the past
12. While the brides’ parents generally pay for the wedding itself, it’s the grooms’ parents to cover the costs of the rehearsal dinner.
13. The maid of honor always signs the marriage certificate as a witness.
14. In English tradition, Wednesday is considered the “best day” to marry, although Monday is for wealth and Tuesday is for health. Saturday is considered the least lucky.
15. The “something blue” in a bridal ensemble symbolizes purity, fidelity, and love.