I'd like to stop my period permanently but…

posted 2 years ago in No Kids
Post # 17
275 posts
Helper bee

Go to your OB/GYN and demand Lysteda. The generic name for it is Tranexamic Acid. Fair warning: it’s not cheap. I don’t know what your insurance situation is like. The silver lining is that while a bottle of the pills are pricy, you only take them for the first three days as soon as your period starts, so you don’t have to shell out the money for it every month.

For some reason, OB/GYNs drag their feet and hem and haw about it even though it’s very effective at making periods lighter and less crampy. Just stand firm and refuse to accept whatever hormonal birth control they try to push onto you, and keep repeating that you need Lysteda.

Post # 18
2397 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

I had a hysterectomy a few years ago due to medical reasons. Kept one of my ovaries so that I wouldn’t go into early menopause. I would not recommend having one if you can avoid it. Month long recovery. Weight gain. And serious sexual side effects (as it altered sensation). 

I’d try for the ablation. You can still get pregnant, but have an almost 100% likelihood of miscarriage.

Post # 21
2844 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

My mum had an ablasion and said it was the best thing she ever did. She was in her late 40s and has told me to get it done once I’ve finished having children. The benefit is that it will stop your periods but not the hormones. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors