(Closed) If he doesnt come to his senses

posted 8 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
2898 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

@soon2bnixon:  like most legal questions, the answer depends heavily on your circumstances and state laws. You should speak with a divorce lawyer for the answer to this – no one here is going to be able to give you a reliable answer. 

Im very sorry that you’re going through this. 🙁

Post # 4
1201 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

@soon2bnixon:  Is he still paying all the big bills even though he isn’t currently living with you? And also, if you can’t afford to pay all of the bills why would you go purchase a new car? And I think I would agree with PP that you should probably talk to a lawyer about how the bills work in regards to if he still has to pay. I think the circumstances change depend on whether or not you two are legally separated. And sorry to hear you are going through this. 

Post # 5
11734 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

you need to talk to a lawyer obviously, but as far as bill collectors go, you are the only person responsible for paying at the moment. They’re not going to care about your life circumstances – they’re in your name, you’re the only person hurt by them not getting paid so if he’s not paying them you need to.  Not sure why you’d go buy a new car if you can’t afford your bills.

Post # 6
8031 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2013

@soon2bnixon:  I would think so. I think that it’s reasonable to expect that you should be paid some spousal support for a period of time. I’d go see a divorce lawyer.

Sorry this is happening! 🙁

Post # 7
10354 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

You probably should have discussed this with a lawyer before buying a car.

If you aren’t legally separated, that car is likely joint property as well, and it may look like an aggressive financial move if your divorce goes to court.

Both of you should hash out agreements as to who pays what during the separation so that there is no confusion. Assuming things will get you into a lot of trouble.

Post # 9
9071 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

If your name is on the bills, you’re the one responsible for them. Debt collectors and Bill collectors do not care about your financial, living or marital situation and are going to be vehemently unsympathetic.

If you can’t afford the bills on your own, why did you go buy a new car? If your husband goes to divorce you, buying a new car isn’t likely going to look good on you.

Get in touch with a lawyer ASAP. As far as I know, your husband is not responsible for your bills even if it is to support their marital home and even if he had been paying them before. His name isn’t on them, so they’re your responsibility.

Post # 10
323 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

In the OP’s defense, I think she bought the care before she knew there was a problem because her husband paid the lion’s share of the bills. 

I think this would depend on your state and I’d advise seeing a lawyer. Have you discussed this side of things with your husband? 

Post # 11
6109 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

@soon2bnixon:  Some states have legal separation papework, some states do not.  If I were you, I’d get one hour’s consultation with a divorce lawyer and get all your questions answered this way.  You don’t have to retain/hire them, you just use them for one hour’s time. 


My ex and I had our separated financial agreements listed in the predivorce paperwork which went to the decree.

Post # 13
6013 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: March 2012

RUN to the lawyers office.  Seriously even if your seperated there can be documents on who pays what.

hang in there.

The topic ‘If he doesnt come to his senses’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors