(Closed) If I quit, I end the business, but I’m bored & lonely… what to do?

posted 7 years ago in Career
  • poll: What should I do about my current job?
    Stay where I am, I'm lucky to have my job! : (2 votes)
    6 %
    Job hunt & then quit when I get a new job! : (29 votes)
    91 %
    Try working 2 jobs but rarely see DH or friends : (0 votes)
    Other : (1 votes)
    3 %
  • Post # 3
    11325 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: February 2011

I wouldn’t quit this job until you have another lined up. Both because it could be hard to find a job right now, and also because once you found another job at least you’d have something concrete to compare this one to. 

Post # 4
    6351 posts
    Bee Keeper

wow. People are going to think I wrote this. I def feel your pain 🙁

Post # 5
    3222 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: August 2011

Just to be honest, it’s tough out there. Do you have a degree/things that qualify you for other jobs? 

If you are really miserable, just put your feelers out there and see if anything bites. Don’t quit your job until you have a new one. 

Fiance was miserable, so he quit his job and we moved, and he’s having a really hard time finding something even part time..

Good luck!

Post # 6
    1025 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

1) Use all your free time at work to job hunt but don’t quit until you have something lined up

2) See if there is a gap somewhere in the business that you could cover – accounting or inventory or something. 

3) Take up knitting

Post # 8
    399 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: March 2012

Are we the same person?  I swear, I’m in the same position as you.  I make a little less, work at a store where I’m the only one here (although I can’t set my own hours). I work 6 out of 7 days a week for terrible pay, and it’s like pulling teeth to get information out of my boss.  My boss owns another larger company, and I was told that they would be hiring someone to take over my hours here and I’d eventually be at the other company full time.  Instead, I found out today that they hired someone for the other company and I’m stuck here.  FI & I can’t afford to move out of our parents house on our combined income.

What am I doing?  I’m throwing applications at every job possibility I can find.  Even sending my resume out to companies that aren’t hiring.  I feel terrible because if I leave it’ll put them in a terrible position, but honestly – I need to do what’s best for me.  I need to find a job that pays better and that I can grow with.

I think you should job hunt and quit when you find a new job.

Post # 9
    7771 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2010

What about talking to the owner about getting some benefits or compensation for all of the responsibility?  Can you approach your boss with a proposal of how you would like things to be to make the situation better?

Or is it a lost cause?  I feel your pain, it is tough out there.  I would start searching for new jobs.

Post # 11
    6351 posts
    Bee Keeper

hehe i do complain about working alone a lot.

I now am only alone one day a week and am totally loving it! It is awesome because I get one day a week to be anti social and then the other four I have 1-2 coworkers. The problem before was that I was carrying such a huge workload alone so it was always my work that ended up late since the other work was higher priority. No one understood why if all the work was “critical” and “top priority” that some things not labeled as such would not get done in a timely manner.

I have no choice but to stay. I love too much of the job to leave. For several weeks a year, we have the most amazing students with disabilities on campus and it makes it worth it. Your job does not sound like you get ANY emotional reward in it so I would def start looking elsewhere.

Post # 14
    6351 posts
    Bee Keeper

@secretbee: It is possible to find a great job if you can give yourself time to look. Network if you can.

Post # 15
    1555 posts
    Bumble bee

@secretbee: $22,000 is a con. I’m in that salary range and I know I am underpaid. I guess it depends on what part of the country or world you live in. But I know I’m definitely underpaid.

I also feel like I’m in the same position. I want nothing more than to quit my job, but I know it isn’t smart (unless Boyfriend or Best Friend gets a job out of state. Then I am 100% going too) but there are days I can’t take it. I don’t have the luxury of having whatever days I want off (but it may not be such a luxury). But I think we should both keep looking for opportunities while still bringing in money. Let’s just keep showing up every day and taking home the paycheck, but definitely research new opportunities. They are out there.

The topic ‘If I quit, I end the business, but I’m bored & lonely… what to do?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors