- 10 years ago
- Wedding: September 2010
“You’ve got plenty of time.”
“You’ve got plenty of time.”
you’re not inviting random extended family i’ve never met [and thus having a 300 person wedding]????
you’re not inviting KIDS?
YOU’RE NOT HAVING A BRIDAL PARTY???
How much was your dress? You didn’t buy it on sale????
and, my fave: HOW MUCH WAS YOUR RING? (how should i know????????)
All of these have been said to me multiple times by my Future Mother-In-Law, i guess she keeps asking to get the answer she wants.
I also had from my Mother-In-Law almost immediately after we got engaged, “So when are you going to make me a grandma?” Ummm…. Your son is only 21, just cuz that’s when you had kids, doesn’t mean that’s when we’ll have kids. Also, you’re in your early 40’s, are you sure you’re ready to be a grandma already? Because, I can totally see when we do decide to have kids, she’ll change her mind and be all: “You guys are so young! I don’t want to be such a young grandma!”
By The Way, 6 months later she’s still asking, and it’s worse, now that my brother had his baby, because she see’s pictures of me holding him and is all like, “You look like you would be such a great mom! I’m ready to be a grandma! When am I getting grandkids?” All over my FB wall…. Joy….
I also hate “You have so much time!”
Yes. I know I do. I did that for a reason. Because I get stressy and anxious. PUTTING THINGS OFF WILL NOT MAKE ME A CALM BRIDE.
OMG this post is so funny! I have some of my un-favs to add as well…
1) “So are you guys gona have some kids?” Why is that any of their business and also why do people still act like we’re in the 1930’s and once you get married all their is to look forward to is children??? Uuuummm….no. We’re never having children, because they might turn out like you.
2) “I don’t think you should_____ or that you should have _______”. Last time I checked you weren’t paying for this wedding, and if i wanted your opinion I would ask for it.
3) “You’re not having any kids at the wedding? Why? I thought this was about families!” Last time i checked you didn’t even have any children! Why do you care? When YOU get married you can have all the screaming babies and smelly toddlers around that you want. And yes it is about families…the family that my SO and I are starting by getting married. Deal with it, show up and put a smile on your face. And if you don’t like it don’t come…that’s one less person to buy dinner for.
The next one’s relate to the fact that my SO is deployed right now…but they bother me just as much if not more
4) “Are you stressed out with the wedding planning and ____ being deployed? That’s gotta be tough!! I’de go crazy!!” No, I’m not stressed at all. I’m a emotionless robot and feel nothing. WTF?!? I live and breath this deployment, of course I’m stressed and scared!! He could DIE!! That kindof out weighs what flowers go on the tables, don’t even try to compare the two!!
5) “Are you scared that he’ll die? God, you’de have to cancel the wedding.” Are you serious? Do you honestly think that if he died that I would find canceling the wedding to be the stressful part??? Get away from me before I KILL YOU!!
Hahahahaha…that felt good. Glad to get it off my chest. 😉
I’m a snarky person. When people ask me and Fi when we’re having kids, I tell them it all depends on what the international going rate for them is, because we want to wait to have them until we can really cash in on the growing baby smuggling market.
They never ask again.
“just let it go” or “stop worrying about it” or “it’s not worth it” about things that i care about that are still unsettled or problematic (like ceremony music selections or guest list issues). why would i be pouring this much energy into the whole event only to let the details go to pot? obsessing over stuff is bad…trying to find a solution to something that is still unresolved is called problemsolving people!!!!!!! being a bride doesn’t suddenly turn that process into crazy.
OHHH… how could I forget this one?!
“Don’t worry about it, no one will even notice.” – My mom is guilty of that one… a LOT. She doesn’t understand why I’ve put ANY thought into things like shoes, place cards, ceremony music, cake, centerpieces, linens, etc. In her opinion, no one will even notice or remember these things after the wedding. While, true, they may not be able to specifically recall what my centerpieces looked like… they will, however, remember if their impression of the room was ugly or not. Also, I’ll have pictures of each detail!
@pilotsgirl – ‘Are you scared he’ll die?’ you should have slapped the face right off that jackass!! Unbelievable!
People here seem to be a bit more … discreet about the nosiness. They do tend to the, ‘weddings cost so much, sure why bother’ camp. Eh, cos we want to. Piss off.
The constant one I get is, ‘What colour is your dress?’
Srsly. I’m really quite normal. I haven’t worn anything truly peculiar since I was 16.
These are people who can accept ‘ magnolia’ as the shade for seventeen different colours of wall, but suddenly they see differences (important differences) between white and ivory. Go and shite.
why aren’t you having (fruit) wedding cake? Because I don’t like it. We’re having cupcakes. Last I saw, you love them. Stop complaining.
“You have to…”
So glad you opened this one! V helpful!
And Tower of Terrors, you’re brilliant. Do it your way. I’ve caved most of the way on the music, really because I just couldn’t be doin’ with listenin’ to all the whinin’. Which means I won’t trouble the dancefloor much our wedding night. Boo. At least they’ll all be too busy dancing to be harassing me.
Oh, remembered one. My aunt asked me, at my brother’s wedding, “Why didn’t he invite all the cousins?”
Because they live on another continent and are not involved in his life. At all. You paying?
I’ve been bringing my lunch to work probably a little bit after we got engaged. It saves a ton of money. I happened to be eating a salad one day and I got asked, “Are you losing weight for the wedding?” WTF? Srsly? I happen to really like salads and they’re easy to make at home and bring for lunch. It’s none of your damn business if I’m trying to lose weight!
@ TowerofTerror– My Fiance would LOVE to be registered at Game Stop!
The “SO!!~ Are you ExCITED??”” Comment annoys the crap out of me. The last time a lady at work asked me that, I said, ” No.” And her retort was, “Oh, well then maybe you shouldn’t be gettng married.”.. I was SCREAMING inside. I calmly, told her, “Wel,, actually…I have been with my Fiance for 9 years… So I am not jumping up and down like a love fool… also, we have tried to plan our wedding 3 plus times… I’m annoyed by all the changing due to family inconvenience”–(NOT that it is any of her business!). SO- No, I am not excited…” And.. like, mind your own bees wax. Can’t believe she told me I shouldn’t be getting married cause I’m not dancing about it at work!!!!! Grrrr… Some people..
Can I bring __________?
Honey, do you see a plus one on your invite? No, you cannot bring your friends with benefits random dude that just wants to come to drink.
The topic ‘If one more person says: “________”, I might have to strangle them.’ is closed to new replies.