- 4 years ago
- Wedding: July 2012 - The Gables Inn, Santa Rosa, CA
OK, so Darling Husband and I have discussed this to death and I feel like we’ve gotten nowhere! So, I’m turning to you wise bees to see what y’all think…
I am 26, Darling Husband is 29. He has a great job and even owns a small % of the company. We moved earlier this year so he could launch a new office for his company which he now runs. We own a somewhat small but beautiful custom home in a nice neighborhood, and can live comfortably on his income alone. I work, but we spend my income on emergency/unanticipated items, vacations and “extras”.
We have been married for about two years, and have been living together for over 8. We are very happy and enjoy our life as it is together. We want 2 kids and I’d like to be done with pregnancy by the time I’m close to 30. I will stop working from the time our first is born until all are at least school aged. We plan to TTC from Dec to May to ensure a fall or winter birth so he can be here for it (he travels pretty much all spring/summer for work).
On one hand, we feel like we should start TTC this year, just in case it takes us a while. Although most of my family is quite fertile, so we don’t anticipate issues.
On the other hand, we both love to travel to exotic places, scuba dive, etc., which will be difficult to do if I’m not working (since our single-income budget doesn’t leave much for vacations) and basically impossible once we have little ones (unless we can come up with enough extra $$ to bring a sitter along too. Also, we live in AK so we can’t really drive to the tropical destinations we enjoy so much, and family isn’t available to help with childcare because we moved more than 3,000 miles away from them).
Darling Husband is happy to wait or try now, he says it’s my biological clock that’s ticking, not his, so he’s basically leaving the choice to me at this point… I want a baby more than anything, but it’s not the only thing I want… I just don’t know if we should start trying now or wait a year or two?
I just feel like if we choose to wait, then we aren’t leaving any room if we don’t concieve right away. But on the other side of that, if we do concieve easily, I wonder if I’ll think back and say we should have taken the time to do more, travel more, etc.
P.S. Darling Husband doesn’t like the laissez-faire idea of letting nature/God decide. He either wants to try or prevent.