(Closed) I’m a bumble bee… and need advice!

posted 9 years ago in Weddingbee
Post # 3
Member
4001 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Aw man, ok.  I can totally sympathize, that is a dilemma.  If I were you, with 10 months to go I’d give my parents another month to figure out what they’re doing.  If your heart is invested in their house, that’s where it should be.  Regarding your family, they love you and they’ll do everything they can to be there, logistics shouldn’t sway your decision. 

If they aren’t sure in a month, I’d book another venue that is also meaningful to you.  Your grandparents would be so honored to have your wedding there and I think it’d be so special to do it there.  Same goes for the place your parents got married.  They both hold sentimental value so they aren’t really a huge down grade.  Give yourselves a deadline to decide and stick to it, that’s what we’d do.

Then booking the rest will be the easy part!  I hope it works out perfectly :o)

Post # 4
Member
908 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

Hmm, if I were you, I would start planning the wedding to be at your parents place but have a nearby venue in mind for backup.  I’m guessing your grandparents place isn’t nearby?

Your photographer, band etc. don’t need to know exactly where the venue is at this point, so I’d go ahead and start booking them.

Are there other places in that area where you can have the wedding?  Also, with the housing market the way it is, it seems unlikely that your parents will be able to sell a lake house in 10 months, I don’t think many people are buying second homes.

Post # 6
Member
647 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

That’s a good idea, to start planning at your parents and then switch to your grandparents if it doesn’t work out.  Would a family member be willing to run interference for you with your step-grandmother should the need arise?  Maybe someone who gets along with her really well?

Post # 8
Member
2066 posts
Buzzing bee

This is tricky.  Obviously your top choice is your parent’s lake house in Michigan.  But it sounds like they are having trouble figuring out what they are going to do with the house.  You obviously can’t wait till the last minute to decide because you have people traveling from Europe.  I think you need to explain to your parents that you need a final answer by xyz date (in a month or something).  And then you need to move ahead with plan B.  It takes a while to interview and secure vendors and you can’t afford to wait to the last minute.  Especially since FI’s family is flying from Europe.  

Good luck!

Post # 9
Member
1765 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

I say you just book it for where your parents house is located so they can start paying for their travel. If you have to switch it, go to a venue nearby. I’m sure everyone will be understanding if it’s beyond your control!

Another thought, and I would hate to say this if your parents really do need to sell the house, but with the market the way it is, it might not sell before then?

So sorry I don’t have better advice!

Post # 10
Member
7053 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

Hugs but look at it like this!  You’ve got two increible venues at your disposal!

I’d wait a month before sending out STD’s although begin planning now.  Since both homes are waterfront, you can keep the themes similar and style identical. 

Post # 11
Member
1011 posts
Bumble bee

Will budget be an issue?  Perhaps you can inquire with vendors and what they offer at both your parents’ and your grandparents’.  That might help you get to a decision.  Plus, it’d good negotiation practice!

The topic ‘I’m a bumble bee… and need advice!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors