Post # 1
My Darling Husband and I have been married for 4 months now. In May I noticed a red ring around my finger. I thought it was just because I wash my hands so much and I wasn’t drying under my rings good enough. I took my rings off to give my finger a chance to heal. Well I still cannot wear my rings without my finger breaking out in a crazy rash with blisters. I wore my engagement ring for a year with no problems and my wedding ring for 3 months. It breaks my heart that I can’t wear my rings. My Darling Husband wants to buy me new ones but I don’t want a new ring I want MY ring. Someone told me I could have them dipped in another metal and I think that is what we are going to do but it just makes me sad. Anyone else have this issue?
Post # 3
@MrsUNClover: Aw, I’m sorry. If you google “weddingbee ring allergic” you’ll have lots to read. What’s your metal? If you get your stones reset, I know that Palladium is hypoallergenic.
Post # 4
I am so sorry! I understand tho. I am allergic to nickel which is blended in to most jewelry these days. The only jewelry I wear is my engagement ring which is 100% Platinum and my wedding ring which is white gold from the 1920s before they started blending. I was told about plactic inserts that can go under the ring which look just plain uncomfortable. Or painting a coat of clear nail polish on the inside. The only thing that works for me is wearing things for a short time and trying to keep them cool. I am sorry I cannot be more helpful! Have you tried different metals to find out what you are allergic too?
Post # 5
I’m allergic to nickel which is in lots of jewelry. I itch and break out quickly! I did a quick google search, and besides the clear nail polish, you can also ask your jeweler to seal your ring in rhodium or another protective coating. At least then it will still be your ring. 🙂
Post # 6
If your ring is white gold, you’re probably allergic to nickel. When the rhodium plating on a white gold ring wears off, the gold alloy (which normally has nickel in it) is exposed, which can lead to allergic reactions. I am extremely allergic to nickel. I wear yellow gold, sterling silver, platinum, or palladium for that reason. You can get palladium white gold, which has no nickel, but it’s more expensive than regular white gold and is kinda hard to find. Getting them redipped is a temporary solution, but know that it won’t last forever. I’m sorry this is happening to you; metal allergies suck!
Post # 7
If you get them rhodium plated that should solve your problem…are they yellow gold or white gold? If they are yellow gold you can request that they just rhodium the inside of your rings…that way your rings are still yellow gold, but the part that touches your finger will have the rhodium so you won’t break out.
Sorry 🙁 that stinks!
Post # 8
I’m severly allergic to nickel, copper (which is mixed up in 14 or 18k gold sometimes) and silver. Even rhodium plating makes me itchy. I’m getting either a 24k gold or palladium engagement ring because it’s hypoallergenic. What material is your ring? If it’s gold, you can try to get it rhodium plated and see if you feel better. But rhodium does wear off after a while and will need to be re-plated every couple of years.
Post # 9
I am extremely allergic to nickel but haven’t had any problems with my rings. I’ve been wearing my engagement ring for about 2 1/2 years now. I was concerned at first because they couldn’t promise that their wasn’t a nickel alloy in my white gold ring, but that the rhodium plating would protect it (and I would have to get redone occasionally to protect my finger). But so far so good. I’m assuming mine must be nickel free since there the rhodium must have worn off quite a bit by now.
Hopefully you figure out what metal you’re allergic to 🙁 You may need to get your stone reset or have your ring dipped in a coating?