- 6 years ago
- Wedding: January 2012
Yay, congrats! Been following your story and am so excited for you!
@MrsRichard: thank you! Daddy cried when I told him! Unfortunately, he WAS supposed to be back in a couple weeks, but with the shutdown, we aren’t sure. Praying that the government restarts this week!
@EverAfterBegins: thank you!
@BOGB: thank you!!
@hippomama: thank you! And congrats on contemplating a life changing decision! A big part of having a parent on active duty is a family care plan. This is especially vital when both parents are active duty. The fcp outlines who will take care of your child when you are gone, both long and short term . If you cannot fill one out to the Navy’s satisfaction, you will be honorably discharged. That is my big thing right now, I have to see if any if my family or in-laws will be able to help me from next June until I get out the following May (I’m not using daycare). If no one can, I will be unable to sign a FCP.
Well it has been some time sense I’ve been on, but I would like to update this post for anyone following it. When I went in for an ultrasound at 6W2D (due to pain and mild bleeding the previous week). At first, they were unable to find the sac, which made me break down in tears. As i was dressing, the resident RE who couldn’t find the sac came back in with my actual RE, who reexamined me. They found the sac, but it implanted maybe a centimeter from my actual uterine cavity; it was at the junction of my right fallopian tube and the corner of my uterus. I had been feeling pain throughout the pregnancy, but attributed it to a corpus luteum cyst. The pregnancy is whats referred to as a “cornuaL”, or “interstitial” pregnancy, it happens in 2-4% of ectopic pregnancy, which in turn happen in 1% of normal pregnancies. It has all the dangers of an ectopic but amplified; me RE told me that if I continued the pregnancy 1 of 3 things would happen:
1. Either my uterus would rupture and I and the baby would die
2.Or My uterus would rupture and the baby would die and they could salvage my uterus throught the use of several blood transfusions (no promises of future fertility, which at the very least would be decreased with the scar tissue and/or tube loss)
3. I could risk my and the baby’s life to try to carry to viability, which he said he has NEVER seen happen. Even if I did i would be rushed towards a C section as soon as I hit that point, and there was no promise of the baby’s survival.
At this point I completely lost it, yet again I was alone going through a tremendous loss (I lost my mother in June and my first pregnancy in August). In my weak moment, I told him I would honestly rather die than to kill my baby, our baby, that we worked so hard for. After alot of prayer, and talking to the chaplain and my aunt (who is a MD and a religious mentor for me), I was able to calm down and make peace with the decision to terminate the pregnancy via methotrexate. By this point I was hospitalized; I could not go home because they did not want me to rupture at home, as I had no one to help me. As soon as i was hospitalized my husband was what we call “red crossed” home (the hospital sent out a Navy message letting his command know that there was an emergency at home that his presence was needed for). In his 6 month deployment, this was his second red cross; The first was at the very beginning when mom died and the second was at the very end for the pregnancy. If he didn’t come home, even after the methotrexate, i might’ve still had to stay in the hospital, as I still had to be monitored against a rupture (the methotrexate only stops cell growth, the gest sax was, and is, still there). I had the methotrexate shot and broke down again in tears, they wouldnt let me wait until my husband came the next day, because every second, minute, hour was another milestone in the baby’s growth, if it would’ve developed a heartbeat the process would’ve been made infinitely harder. My husband came the next day and i was discharged from the hospital. Every few days after the methotrexate, I have to get bloodwork done, as a result my veins are beginning to blow, which makes the draws incredibly painful. Around a week after the first shot, my levels were still climbing (the will to live is so strong!), so I had to get another shot. My HCG has went from around 9000 to 1000 last tuesday, I have another lab wednesday and an ultrasound to see where everything is. If things have not been resolved, I will have to have the right corner of my uterus removed (I have a slightly bicornuate, or heart shaped, uterus which I believe might have contributed to the cornual pregnancy). I am praying that this is not the case, and my sweetheart has made it to heaven. The methotrexate, which is a chemo drug, has been causing hairloss, however I think this is more because I am no longer taking a prenatal (you cannot take folic acid during methotrexate therapy, it keeps the cells growing) combined with the loss of the pregnancy. If we are cleared, in January we will try IUI again, and pray for better circumstances.
@NaijaPuertoDorian: I’m glad you posted an update. I remember you from the June thread and I was sad to read about what happened to you and your baby. I can only imagine how difficult this is for you but keep hanging in there. You’re a strong woman! I pray that your IUI is successful! Stay positive 🙂
@little_d: Thank ya’ll
@sassyt: Thank you. I’m worried about January being a bit soon, but with the military infertility clinic, its take what time they give you or wait a few months. When I first didn’t think I was pregnant in september, I was placed on the iui list for January, a full 3 month wait. Im going to start taking 1mg of folate daily to boost my body’s depleted stores. I really hope January is our time; we come up on our 2 year mark of trying in April, and in June my husband gets stationed on the east coast and i deploy for 8-10 months.
Hello everyone, another update. I guess I am keeping up with this thread incase any other bee goes through a similar situation, and might need some info as to how things could go. As of today, January 9, my hcg level is at 12, down from a peak of 9000 in late October (my numbers actually doubled from 3698 after my first methotrexate shot, which mandated another shot). I should be under 5 before the end of this month, 5 being the maximum amount of hcg a non pregnant woman can have. After the second shot, my numbers would just about halve weekly, ie from 8000 to 4000 to 2000 etc etc. Surgery is always an additional risk, but I kind of feel that the healing time until I can attempt another pregnancy would be similar (with the methotrexate, my husband and I are not cleared for another iui until April, which marks our second year of ttc). Also, surgery would’ve been less emotionally and physically draining, I still feel early pregnancy symptoms as a result of the hcg and the gestational sac still being in my body. Also, because I chose methotrexate and the sac is still there, if and when we do conceive, I have been cautioned highly against natural labor, as pushing could cause uterine rupture due to the sac.
I just feel like my entire lifes hopes and dreams have been shattered, taken from me. However, I am grateful to have gone through all of this young, my husband and I have quite some time to explore other options, other ways to become parents.
dear dear girl- this is a heart-breaking story and I feel for you so deeply. Take care of yourself x x x x
The topic ‘I'm gonna be a multicultural military mama!!!’ is closed to new replies.