- 9 years ago
- Wedding: July 2009
My wedding was just this past weekend. Over all it was great! I had a good time and for the most part things went smoothly.
Im sure other brides have felt this way, but the days leading up to my wedding and on my wedding day I was so Stressed and Overwhelmed. I didn’t get more then 3 hours of sleep that whole weekend including the days leading up to it.
1. My advise on this would be to hire a DOC or have a good friend or family member that you trust take care of things on the wedding day. Things like decorating, setting out place cards and favors and just making sure things were done right and all the vendors show up on time.
I did most of this myself with help from my BMs. My DJ showed up 30 mins late and things were not set up right in the banquet hall. We had to run around and get thing corrected just minutes before I was supposed to be getting ready for the ceremony.
We ordered cupcakes, which were a huge hit! I had around 100 guests and I ordered 125. We had around 10 left at the end of the night. I set out little bags for guests to take some home and a few guests did partake in this. We ended up with 10 cupcakes that my hubby and I took home with us.
2. My advise – I think having ordered extra cupcakes worked out great and having take home bags was also helpful!
We had 8 "no shows" on the wedding day. 2 had called me a few days before to cancel, but at that time it was to late to take them off since everything was paid for already. But 6 people just didn’t come, call or anything.
3. Advice -expect at least 2 "no shows" on your wedding day. I wouldn’t buy less food, but just simply know that some people just wont show up.
I made all of the flowers for the bridal party. They turned out great but here is some advice if you plan to make your own.
4. Advice – have a lot of help! The more people helping the faster it will go. It took me 5 hours to make 5 bouquets and 10 bouts. Also, be sure to have plenty of inspirational photos to work from. Use spring water and plant food to put the flowers in. They will last longer. Store them in a cool place. My flowers started to wilt a little bit, since I made them the Thursday before and I didn’t use spring water and plant food – as recommended – I just didn’t have the time to buy any. So, have that on hand.
P.S. If you want Calla Lilies for hand tied bouquets use the SMALL ones… I had the large ones which were way to big.
Pre-wedding photos!! We did this and it was great!!! It took the stress off a lot by spending some one on one time with my hubby to be while getting out alone photos. We really got to have some bonding time and it made us both less nervous. Then after the ceremony we could go right to mingling and relaxing!! It worked out great!!
5. Advice – Pre-Wedding photos are great!! Make sure to have someone to keep an eye on your dress – to make sure it doesn’t drag on the grown much and keep people from stepping on the train. Mine got a little dirty and people did step on it a lot during photos. Towards the end of the photos I asked My Maid/Matron of Honor to watch and hold my train and she did – and was happy to do so.
Photos! We only got 4 hours of pro- photography. It was great! Less money and you really get the photos that are important to you! We had our photographer take pre-wedding photos and then he shot the wedding ceremony and the start of the cocktail hour. He also took plenty of photos of the location and decoration, rings etc…
6. advice – If you have a photographer for less time. Make sure to have a friend with a nice camera take photos during the reception – after the pro – photographer has left. Also give each guest a card with info on where they can share there photos with you. I did this and it worked out great. Slowly people have been adding photos to my web – photo gallery. And my Friend who took photos gave me a disk of the pics and they looked really good!
Over all my best advice is to make your wedding day as low stress as possible!! however you have to do it…. do it! It will make things so much better for you. That is the one thing I wish I would have done…. hired a DOC or had someone take care of the Day Of wedding stuff.
Good Luck ladies!!!