- 6 years ago
- Wedding: August 2013
I’m a Bridesmaid or Best Man in a destination wedding in 10 days and a month out was when all the guests needed to be confirmed. I think 10 months is way to far away to expect people to rsvp and put money down! Lots can happen in ten months. Plan for how many people you think are coming and worry about specifics closer to.
I second Alberta….way too early to be freaking out about this.
@AlbertaLolita: i know how stressful Destination Wedding are, im having one too
Realistically though, most people wont confirm ten months out. what you need to do is make a rough estimate…and most venues (like hotels) will let you adjust numbers up to a month before. err on the side of caution and know that a lot of people cant make weddings abroad, and base your numbers off that
I would never put a deposit down that early. I just attended a Destination Wedding, and we booked about 3 months out from the event, which, as far as I know, is standard for booking travel arrangements (obviously, you can later, but, for the best deals & such, 3 months is preferable). I would be really annoyed if I was getting harassed 10 months out from the wedding.
I agree with all the PPs. Just take the word of the people that told you they’ll be there. Your wedding is almost a year aways. Even though it would be easier for you, most people won’t book until the wedding closer (probably next summer).
I agree with PPs. We went to a wedding in India last year, booking tix and hotel only 3 months in advance. If people can’t decide now, there is not much you can do. Are room deposits refundable? Are you dependent on having a minimum number of guests at the same resport to get some sort of discount or free upgrades? I wouldn’t worry too much…
I wouldn’t worry about it too much. With the holidays approaching, people are probably more worried about getting gifts for people and other expenses. I say send out a reminder in late January/early February around tax return time.
i guess i understand where everyone is coming from but the depost holds the rate and it is refundable! its only 10 percent which in some cases is only $40. i honestly dont think thats too much to ask the full amount is due 2 months before and if they decide they cant come at that point the deposit is refundable. im having my wedding off a resort so things are completly different then being on the resort. the travel agent im usibg has amazing rates now and the deposit will hold that rate. also this hotel is always booked at the time im getting married so i would like my guests to have a head start. thats all
Thats exactly why we just cancelled our destination wedding. No one was commiting. They kept saying “they would love to be there” but never contacted me back to put the deposit down. Others assumed they would get a better deal booking last minute. In the end we needed 10ppl committed in order to secure the group rate, and pathetically we didnt have that and it was cancelled. Now I’m back to square one trying to plan my Plan B wedding.Yeehaw
My side of the guests all had to travel to France from the US. I gave them 7 months notice and I think people started making plans around 2 -3 months out from the wedding. I did however ask if they were leaning towards going or not and had to push a few extended family members for answers (they felt bad about not going, but I totally got it was a big and expensive trip so it was fine by me).
Maybe unofficially try to get a head count number (as least get rid of all the “no” answers from your list) so you can start looking at the venues. Otherwise, don’t sweat it too much, you are still pretty far out from the date.
@RaysBride89: Yeah don’t trip. I’m 5 1/2 months away from my wedding day and I’m a destination bride as well. My fiance’s mom still hasn’t gotten her passport yet so that means she and her boyfriend haven’t booked a flight or their hotel yet. We have a block of rooms reserved and we didn’t use a travel agent. I don’t have a lot of people booked and we sent our Save the Dates out in August. I’m sending out invitations in waves starting next week. RSVP deadline will be January 18. You will not even know how many people are firmly coming until like everyone has been saying, maybe 3 months out. I can estimate, but really don’t have a clue yet. Flights are way too high 10 months out! Just relax, things will come together.
I think it’s really early to be so upset about people not confirming. Also, and not that it actually matters, October 10 is just over 11 months away.
@RaysBride89: oooh good choice, thats exactly what im doing!! so guests can stay anywhere they want (though im encouraging them to stay at same resort…its not compulsory)
My family booked a month ago…so 6 months before the wedding, as theyre coming internationally. All the guests in Mexico (ie 90%) havent booked yet so i feel your pain!
Your profile says you are getting married in Oct of next year. If that is correct than it is really really early for people to fully commit especially if they have to pay a deposit and possibly loose that $$ but if if that wasn’t the case just give them time. At least they know that when it will be way ahead of time so they can start to save and plan in the hopes that they will be able to go. I had a friend that had a destination wedding and she let people know about it way in advanced but did not have to commit until 3 months before.
Just give them time and realize that we are in a economic hardship in the States.
The topic ‘I'm so frustrated with my family & friends’ is closed to new replies.