(Closed) I’m tired & wish I had more vacation days..

posted 7 years ago in Wellness
Post # 3
13096 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

OMG – I’d KILL for 23 days.  I get 10 and it sucks!  I had to take no vacation time for a year and a half so that I could have a wedding and honeymoon and still was forced to go into “vacation debt” as I didn’t have enough hours.  10 days a year is no where near enough.

ETA: It also sucks that Darling Husband gets 22 days, which is plenty for him, but we often can’t take time together because he has twice as much as me.  So he takes random days while I have to stay at work.

Post # 4
3176 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I would also kill for 23 PTO days.

My last job I didn’t get any for the first year and then I got 7 after a year. Now at my new job I get a max of 12 and it is not enough.

I also don’t get Holidays which sucks.

Post # 5
4693 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I get 10 days, and it’s definitely not enough!

ETA: My ten days includes sick days.  We’re also open on all holidays except Christmas and Thanksgiving.

Post # 7
3709 posts
Sugar bee

We get 15 vacation days (I work Mon-Fri so that’s 3 weeks)

2 personal days

Sick time is accrued

Oh….and our vacation time doesn’t roll over each year so there’s no banking any until the next year. You use it or you lose it. 

EDIT: sick time is accrued and it DOES roll over each year…thank goodness. But we can only use it if we are genuinely sick…not as extra vacation days. 

Post # 8
13096 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

@moderndaisy: I also get 5 sick days but I cannot use those for anything besides calling in sick (aka, I can’t take an extra week off at some point during the year and just say I’m using my earned sick time).  So really, those days don’t get used much if at all.

DH’s is like yours in that all 22 days are vacation, sick time, etc – they aren’t differentiated into specific categories.  But with his job, they never take sick days (he’s a consultant so if he’s sick, he just works from the hotel room instead of the client site and doesn’t have to take any days) so all of his is essentially vacation.

ETA: I also don’t get things like MLK day and President’s day off – I’ll be in the office!

Post # 9
5496 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2010

I, too, would love 23 days. I only have 10 vac. days and 3 sick days per year. 

Post # 10
8738 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2011

I get 15 vacation days, 3 personal days, and 1 extra floating holiday this year because we didn’t get time off around new years.

I’m struggling to figure out how to have a destination wedding with only 19 days (between planning and the wedding itself they are all eaten up!).

Because of my lack of vacation days we have to wait until 2012 to take our honeymoon.

ETA: On the plus side we have unlimited sick days, but if you are out more than 3 days in a row you need a doctor’s note. Plus, I feel too guilty about calling in “sick” when I’m not.

The one time I really was sick I worked from home instead of just taking the day off.

Post # 11
1313 posts
Bumble bee

@Mrs.KMM: Totally agree! I get 10 too. Ugh. I also get 6 sick days, so my total is still just 16 :/

We haven’t had the $ for vacation, so I usually just take 4 day weekends when there’s a holiday.. I took 2 for Christmas and had 5 days off, it was wonderful 😉

My SO doesn’t get any paid time off because his hours hover around 35-40 each week and they screw him out of being a “full time” employee. Our place of employment likes to skimp to say the least.

Post # 12
3176 posts
Sugar bee

I’m jealous! I don’t even get sick days. I literally have 12 days for everything and I won’t get more until I’ve been here 6 years. My next day off won’t be until I get sick or request it 🙁

Post # 13
3564 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Yikes, I guess I have a ton of days then…right now I have 25 days (we get 12 for our first year, and then one additional day for each year after that, so 13 for our second year, then 14…and you get to carry over whatever you didn’t take the year before.). I also have 6 sick days and 5 personal days. It’s weird because I work at  non-profit, so I would think that I would have fewer vacation days.

Post # 14
3526 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

At my company we work on a accrual rate so it works out to 14 days per year and this PTO which is time off, sick days, vacation etc. We get 8 holidays per year so I guess that works out to … 22 days. That’s more than I thought I had!We also get to roll over into next year.

My office is also really great about taking off early or coming in late as long as I put in my 40 hr since I’m salary now. So often we’ll take a quick weekend getaway and leave at noon on a Friday.

I need a do nothing beachy vacation!

Post # 15
6015 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: March 2012

I get 12 days PTO, at my last job after 5 years you got 3 weeks, and after 15 you got four. 

A friend of mine works for the government and they get comp time, over time, and vacation and sick time. ridiculous.

The topic ‘I’m tired & wish I had more vacation days..’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors