(Closed) In 2018 I learned…

posted 3 months ago in The Lounge
Post # 2
159 posts
Blushing bee

For the past 4 years I’ve dealt with a now ex boyfriend who all he did was cheat on me and waste my time. It has taught me so much. 

– most importantly, that I can be an independent woman who don’t need no man! Lol 

– to love myself more

– that I should never ignore the warning signs and if I ever have a bad feeling about someone to just trust it

– never settle for less

– I deserve everything I’ve always dreamt of and then some

these May be little things to most but to me they’re big things because after being put through so much the last 4 years I’m ready for a complete change and I’m glad I’m going into 2019 without that person. 

Post # 3
256 posts
Helper bee

2018 has been my worst year yet but I am trying to take the lessons from it. I learned to be intentional in the moves I make and try not to act rashly out of panic, fear, and desperation. I am a major planner and, until this year, my life has gone exactly according to plan. I realize now that this was bound to happen eventually and I need to be more calm and present in how I react to the unexpected.

Wishing a great 2019 for everyone!!

Post # 4
2038 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2018

I learned that I really do have a passion for travel. I want to see so much of this world. We got back from our honeymoon and pretty much started planning our next trip. 

I learned that my parents did a real number on me, and I work every day on fixing myself. 

I learned that I make a really great partner with my husband. With him I feel like there isn’t anything we can’t handle. 

Post # 5
42 posts
Newbee

That taking an ex back is a waste of time.

That I need to value myself more.

That putting others above myself will result in me getting very badly hurt. It needs to be me first, always.

Post # 6
3235 posts
Sugar bee

2018 was one of the worst years of my life. We were diagnosed with infertility and endured the heartache and stress that comes with that month after month… including a failed IVF cycle, all while trying to complete my thesis. 

In 2018 I learned that I’m stronger and more resilient than I ever could be, and I also learned that my marriage is rock solid. I’m thankful every day for what I do have, even if we don’t have a baby.

I also learned that it is well worth ruffling some feathers in order to keep toxic family members out of my life. Best decision ever.

Post # 7
9704 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2010

Sansa85 :  

The “all good/all bad” phenomenon you describe is known as splitting. It is a common defense mechanism, especially with childhood abuse survivors.

Dividing people into all good or all bad diffuses some of the anxiety around the discovery that someone in your life has faults and bad traits along with all of the good stuff. For the splitter, it’s not possible to unify these polarities into a cohesive whole. As you might expect, this wreaks havoc with relationships.

But, Bee! Not only are you now able to correctly identify splitting for what it is; you have realized that you have been using it against yourself. Oh, Bee! I am so excited for you! This such a big leap forward in your abuse recovery.

Now, you are integrating more and more parts of yourself. That’s the main goal of recovery.

I really hope you will find a way to celebrate this incredible achievement. And, please remember to honor yourself, Bee.

Many, many congratulations!

Post # 8
9704 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2010

winterwarrior :  

What kinds of things have you been doing to learn to value yourself more? Have you read anything you would like to share? Did you try counseling? Journaling?

What do you feel has helped you the most?

So many Bees struggle with this issue. Maybe telling us about your experience will be helpful.

And, good work, Bee, just on recognizing that you have tremendous worth.

Post # 9
1272 posts
Bumble bee

2018 has taught me to be kinder to myself and to not give up on myself. I went from not getting into a single doctorate program the cycle before and getting to a very depressed state, to getting accepted to 4 PT programs this year. One of which was my dream school. Never in a million years did I think I was even worthy of being here, yet here I am now actually doing quite well in school! 

And once I got to school, I went through the mindset of ‘can I actually do this, are you even smart enough.’ Now I’m surviving and thriving. All with the support of my amazing husband, I simply couldn’t do it without him 

Post # 10
85 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: November 2016

2018 taught me several things. To realize my potential and self-worth, that I am intelligent and a strong woman. That my body is amazing and has the ability to heal itself and I am proud of that. To appreciate wellness and value health, its everything. I connected with my spirtuality on a different playing field. Always trust my gut when something feels wrong. How to come out of a serious rut, not give up on people and realize you never know how much you may mean to others. 

Sidebar I learned how to use my kitchenaid, decorate our old colonial in style and how to have the marriage we’ve always dreamed of

Post # 11
849 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2019 - Tacoma, WA

2018 was good to me in a lot of ways.

I finally offically got engaged. We went an entire year without my kid going to inpatient treatment (long story, but for the previous several years she was in the ER/inpatient treatment for various mental health issues at least once, and sometimes twice per year). Work took a few weird turns that were unexpected, but ultimately ended up great (but SUPER stressful at the time).

I also did some pretty hard work learning to navigate that sometimes very fine line as a mom between support and enabling, thanks to some great therapy helping me realize what my fears/anxiety about hard boundaries and “tough, but fair, love” really stem from. I learned the heartbreaking and terrifying, but necessary, lesson that I need to teach my kids (all ages 16 and up) to eventually not NEED me anymore. I also did a lot of work on communicating with people who have different styles of communication than I do, ie my fiance lol. There were several occasions when I had to push myself to do things I did not know if I was capable of doing, and I succeeded in all of them, so that was awesome.

It was definitely a year of growth and enlightenment for me, even the parts that were really tough to navigate. I’m really excited to see what 2019 brings!!

Post # 12
72 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: January 2020 - Germany

I learned that my mental health is more valuable than money…quit my job and while money is an issue sometimes it was still a good decision! 

Congrats to all the Bees discovering their inner strength, you got this 😀 

The topic ‘In 2018 I learned…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors