In 2018, what are US bees spending on wedding gifts?

posted 2 years ago in Gifts and Registries
Post # 2
72 posts
Worker bee

I usually spend $75 on a bridal shower gift and give a $200 check on wedding day (from me and my Fiance.)  That is standard in my circle, but you should only give what you feel comfortable with!

Post # 3
1200 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2018

I’ve only been to two weddings as an adult (both were for local close friends). $200 cash was given both times from me and Fiance. I would give less if I was traveling. I do not subtract the amount spent on a shower from the total I give at the wedding. (since it’s a seperate hosted event)

Post # 4
9524 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

Usually $200-$300 if we don’t know the bride/groom well and then $300-$500 for those who are closer friends/family. We don’t change that based on any of the things you mentioned.

Post # 5
1895 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2017 - Pearson Convention Centre

I’m Canadian and this year we also have a few wedding and bridal showers to go to. friends I give $50 for bridal shower, $200 for weddings. Family I give $75 for bridal shower and $250 for wedding. Destination weddings don’t give a gift but I give $100 for bridal shower. Out of town weddings we usually give $100

Post # 6
950 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2018

I try to stay within $100.00 on a shower gift and we usually do $150.00 from each of us in a card. we did this at the last 5 weddings we went to last year.

ultimately, you give what you can. i have a friend that thinks everyone automatically has to give 500-1k. ive explained to her that NOT everyone has that kind of money but her response is alway “you need ot make it work”. i dunno. i think thats nuts

Post # 7
3217 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2018

I live in a moderate cost of living area.  If it’s not a super close friend or family member, we do ~$100 total.  (This should more than cover our plates, although I don’t really take that into account.)  A very close friend or family member (close cousin, sister, etc) we do more like $200-300.

Post # 8
1458 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2019

View original reply
bear123 :  For me, it depends on the nature of the friendship. 

For my fi friend and her husband I gave them $100 at the bridal party and did her makeup, her maid of honor, and her mothers makeup. 

For my very close school friend, I gave him and his new wife $150. 

For my Future Sister-In-Law, Fi gave them $500. In retrospect, I think this was too much but oh well. 

Post # 9
1759 posts
Buzzing bee

$100/plate

Post # 10
694 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2018

I’ve only been to two wedding as an adult but in two very different situations. One was when I was at college and I flew to another continent for an old friend’s wedding. They had a registry and I bought something small for them even though she insisted I should’t because of the trip. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t more than 50CAD.

Recently a very close friend got married. He’s still in the broke college situation, so it was a wedding on a shoe string with very basic fingerfood and we paid for our own drinks. BUT I cooperated with my partner and another friend and bought him his wedding suit AND then we all put some money in a vintage silver cigar case to give to them. We covered much more than our plate but right now we’re able to afford it and we knew it was going to make things a little easier for our friend and his lovely wife. 

Post # 11
1373 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2016

$80 ish for shower and $300 for wedding from hubs and I.

Post # 12
1168 posts
Bumble bee

I went to three weddings in April.

-Close family: $300.00

-Close friends: $250.00

-Distant family: $200.00 (they live out of state, we don’t really ever speak, we were likely only invited because of family politics)

Post # 13
2743 posts
Sugar bee

I’d give $100-150 for most people, possibly more ($150-250 range) for someone very close. A few years ago when I was on a very tight student budget, I went to a wedding and gave about $75 in registry gifts because that was really all I could afford. I think the correct amount is whatever a guest can comfortably spend and wants to spend. 

Showers aren’t big in my circle, but I would probably expect to spend $40-75 on a small registry gift on top of the wedding gift if I were invited. 

Post # 14
162 posts
Blushing bee

I usually do $50-60 on a shower gift, a bit more if I am in the wedding party though.

Wedding gift $250-500 between BF and myself depending on relationship to the couple.

I do not believe in basing your gift off ‘covering your plate’, I don’t know how people are supposed to guess that information anyway. I also don’t alter the amount I give based on a shower gift, attending a bachelorette, or if we are traveling for the wedding.

I live in the NJ/NY area for reference.

Post # 15
610 posts
Busy bee

Oh my gosh I guess I never realized how poor myself and my friends are compared to most people. Hundreds of dollars are definitely not the norm for us, I’d have to not eat for a month if I was giving a couple hundred plus dollars. Hopefully one day! I don’t really even want to say my average amount. It’s less than a hundred. I mean I guess now that my FH and I are engaged I could afford a lot more with his money as well. I’m just used to doing it myself as I’ve been a poor single mom for many years so I’ve never been able to spend much and my friends are pretty much all in the same boat. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors