In 2018, what are US bees spending on wedding gifts?

posted 1 year ago in Gifts and Registries
Post # 31
1409 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2018 - Location

I’m in Canada and have always given $100 for a wedding. I’ve talked openly with friends about this and it seems to be the standard for our age/income level.

Post # 32
972 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2018 - Tizer Gardens/Carroll College

bear123: I just got married last month. The average cash/gift card was $50. some went $25-30 or $75-100, one went $250. Our actual gifts ran in the value of about $150. Still, wish I would have registered for a honeymoon instead.

We usually give a nice place setting if the couple has one on their registry, or a cash gift around $100.

Post # 33
71 posts
Worker bee

We usually get 1 or 2 things off the registry, aiming for a total of around $50.

Post # 34
733 posts
Busy bee

Most of our guests were from the northeast where cash gifts are the norm for weddings and registry gifts are for showers. Our cash gifts for the wedding from our peers averaged $100-$150 for a single person or $200-$300 for a couple. From older/more financially established guests it was $400-$500 for a couple, with some very generous relatives giving $1000+.

We did have a few younger guests and guests from other areas of the country who gave registry gifts and gift cards, more in the $50 range for a single person or $50-$75 for a couple. Which I totally expected because I know the cash amounts people give in the northeast are unheard of in other parts of the country.

ETA: For the shower most guests gave a gift in the $50-$150 range, with (the same generous family members) giving us the expensive vaccuum, luggage, plates, etc.

Also, just read your original post again and saw you were actually looking for guidance. We typically give a little more for closer friends (so if we give $250 for a good friend, we give $300 for a really close friend). Same with the shower – $50 for a good friend, $100 for a close friend. I don’t factor shower gifts or travel expense into what we give for the wedding, though if it were a true destination wedding where a lot of expense was involved I might dial it back to $150 or $200.

Post # 35
7375 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2013

We got married in the Midwest and I would say the average gift ranged from $50-$100 per couple. We had a few outliers but that average includes young students to well established couples. From what I understand, people tend to give more on the coasts but in our area I believe tha is pretty average.

We tend to give $100 as a wedding gift but this is typically on top of traveling as we don’t live near any of our family. Not sure what we’ll gift when we’re actually invited to a local wedding.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors