- 2 years ago
- Wedding: September 2017
Ok, I think stress from wedding planning is wearing me very thin and I’m just here to rant/vent. If anyone can relate I’d appreciate hearing your stories! To be honest, I really wanted to do an intimate wedding with very few guests. This greatly displeased my future parents in law, who insisted we do the big white wedding so I went along with it, convicing myself along the way that it would be fun.
1. I still have no wedding dress. I purchased my first dress from a boutique in November. The owner seemed to indicate that the dress would be here four months before the wedding. I called/emailed to check status in May and could never get in touch with anyone. Finally an assistant answered and, after being placed on hold for 30 minutes, said that my dress would be here in June. I get that it’s wedding season but I find the lack of communication unprofessional. Still no dress, no word from her team. Because this was stressing me out so much I went and bought a back-up dress from a larger shop after explaining my situation – which was promised to be here by June 30. On June 30 I phoned the store (the phone extension to check “order status” redirects you to no one, I finally got in touch with someone by pressing the button to place an order, what a surprise lol) I was told that “of course my dress wouldn’t be here by June 30, I ordered it in May,” but they didn’t have access to individual orders so the sales consultant who sold me the dress would call me back this afternoon. No call back. 🙁
2. We sent out 95 wedding invitations 3.5 weeks ago and so far, we’ve only received 3 responses. While our wedding is in September , I was thinking we’d have a few more responses by now, perhaps 15-20 responses. Our caterer requires 3 week notice so we asked for the reply back by early August. Do people tend to wait on sending their replies? I am the type of person that always sends in RSVPs for anything the day that I receive an invitation, unless I’m unsure as to whether I can make the event.
3. I am really (perhaps irrationally) fearful that no one will come from my side. I have a very small family and my Fiance mainly hang out with one another since moving 35 minutes away to the burbs. I did meet a few friends on a female friendship app, but they told me as much as they’d love to attend, if they can’t find a date they might not come as they’d feel very uncomfortable attending knowing no one besides my Fiance and I at the wedding. I am very worried that almost no one will come to the wedding at all.
4. My FI’s family comes from another culture which doesn’t tend to be accepting of people marrying “outside the culture.” I enrolled in classes to learn the language so I could communicate with his uncle (someone he REALLY looked up to). The first thing he said to my Fiance when he met me was how disappointed he was in my Fiance that he found someone outside of the culture, and got angry with him continually yelling “why, why did you choose someone who doesn’t share our culture?” As a sensitive person I decided to drop the language classes – it was a very dumb and irrational decision on my part, but I was very hurt by his words. The uncle had no idea that I was taking classes and that I understood everything he said. My Fiance promised me that NO ONE will say anything hurtful to me at our wedding. He said if they don’t accept the marriage they won’t attend at all. I tend to believe that perhaps he’s correct.
5. We spent a fortune on a wedding planner as I thought this would help with my stress, but it has not helped. I found that we’ve done everything ourselves, as her reccommended vendors are always outside of our budget, even though she created the budget! (I.E. We told her our total wedding budget was X, she gave us a budget worksheet where she had set the photography budget for $4,000 and then only reccommended photographers that were in the $5,600-$7,500 range. Our she set the photo booth budget at $1,200 and then her cheapest person was $2,300).
This just seems like so much stress for one day!
I love my fiancé and I’m so excited to share the rest of my life with him but this wedding planning has really, really been causing me a great deal of stress. Can anyone relate?