Post # 1
Tonight, FH and I are having our first “meeting” with the minister we are thinking of hiring to perform our wedding ceremony. Does anyone have suggestions for questions to ask, or questions you wish you had asked of your officiant? I really appreciate any feedback you might offer!
Post # 3
The meeting is more for the officiant to approve you as a couple so I would expect more questions from the minister. He/she will ask things like how you met, how long have you been together, have you discussed kids, where you plan to live etc. Things to show that you are ready for marriage.
You could ask them if they have a standard ceremony and can you make changes to it.
Post # 4
We hired a nonreligious officiant. We asked what her requirments as far as wording were, if we could customize our wedding to reflect what we wanted.
Basically she allowed us to do what we wanted as long as it fits with the state requirements. She had some ideas and we talked about those.
Post # 5
We just had our first meeting too. Whew. He was long-winded. 3 hours… Arg.
I honestly typed up a whole list of questions but he answered them all in his spiel. Just make sure to check that he is ordained, licensed, etc. And has a copy to show you. A contract is always a good thing as well as references.
And ask what he will wear because he told us a LONG story about how he always wears a suit and tie but the Bride forgot to tell him it was a casual wedding on the beach. Great… Everyone was in flops and Hawaiian shirts and he was in a suit. too funny.
Post # 6
Thanks ladies! We had a great conversation with him. He sounds perfect for us. When he asked us to each talk about our relationship, FH cried. It was soooo sweet. 🙂
Post # 7
ask him how he feels about photography during your service
Post # 8
@anne B: He’s got tons of pictures on his website of him performing weddings. I think he’s ok with it but I will double check! Thanks!
Post # 9
Here’s some of the questions you can ask:
- What is your fee to officiate our wedding?
- What does your fee include?
- How long have you been a marriage officiant?
- What are your time restrictions for the ceremony?
- Will there be any extra fees if the ceremony starts late?
- Can we see your credentials, proof that you are licensed in the state?
- How far in advance do we need to book our wedding? What would the deposit be?
- What is your cancellation policy?
- How many weddings have you performed in the recent past?
- Do you charge an extra fee for rehearsal?
- Are you available for the date of the rehearsal?
- Do you need any audio/visual equipment for the ceremony?