Post # 1
I have been in the same role with the same company for half a decade.
The role is…fine, but the pay and benefits leave something to be desired and there is absolutely no room for growth.
A company has reached out to me based on my experience and would like to interview me for a new division of their company. There is tons of growth, and the pay raise is substantial (more than double my current salary.) It’s a dream opportunity.
However I’m sixteen weeks pregnant.
I know that this is a federally protected status but let’s not lie: it could definitely work against me.
I’m not obviously pregnant yet and could potentially disguise my small bump with clever dressing. but I would be forfeiting the maternity leave I earned at my current company if I do get the position; I’d likely have to take unpaid leave and return to work fairly quickly.
What is the etiquette when interviewing when pregnant? When do you reveal your status? How do you protect yourself and your interests?
Post # 2
You’re still pretty early in your pregnancy — many people woudn’t have even disclosed to their employer at 16 weeks. So because of that I don’t think I’d be in any hurry to mention it. Probably not until you get an offer or are very close to it. There’s even an argument to be made for waiting til you’re actually in the role to disclose it, but I dunno…
The maternity leave issue is a separate question that I don’t think anyone can really answer for you. Only you can know whether the advantages of this new job would outweigh the cons of an unpaid, shorter maternity leave. Tough call for sure. I guess for me it would come down to how often roles like this pop up. All things being equal I think I’d prefer to stay in the current job and then use my paid maternity leave to apply for new and better roles, then ideally move to a better role once my leave is up. But i know that is easier said than done!
Congrats on your pregnancy and good luck!
Post # 3
don’t reveal until you get an offer and the negotiate your leave at that time. The general rule is if they can’t use information as a basis for hiring you don’t offer it up. I’d want to negotiate my leave before accepting an offer though since if they flat out deny you it might not be worth accepting the offer.
As for leave – if you do get the job try to negotiate what matters more to you (time or money). Especially if this is your first you don’t know how your post-partum period will be so I’d always vote for time personally but if money is an issue then see what they can offer.
Post # 4
Honestly I had interview options at 16 weeks and 26 weeks pregnant but I declined them because I was far enough along that it didn’t seem fair to a new employer, for them to hire me and then I’d be gone within a few months for a year and they would have to replace me anyway.
I vote for stick with your current job, if only for the maternity leave. You never know how you’re going to feel about leaving your baby or getting child/care etc.
if you do go I’d wait until they offer to disclose.
Post # 5
Don’t mention it until you have a written offer. If the position is double your current pay, I would think an unpaid maternity leave wouldn’t be so bad. A good company will not care that you are pregnant, and will work with you if they want you. Good luck!
Post # 6
I think since they reached out to you, I would definitely go. It doesn’t hurt to interview. Then you can decide what to do if you get the offer. I would ask myself, is short term pain (shortened, unpaid maternity leave) worth it for the long term gain?
Post # 7
I wouldn’t tell, try to wow them at the interview, get an offer, then tell them as part of your acceptance and try to negotiate a little paid leave or at least unpaid leave. This seems like a huge positive move for you. Congrats and good luck!
Post # 8
Thanks for all the considerations.
Some additional information:
this is my second pregnancy so I have already reconciled returning to work and child care
this opportunity will absolutely not come around again; this is a very singular opportunity in that the company (while not a start up) are just taking off and I have a chance to get in early
current maternity leave offered is 3 months at reduced pay; I would be back within 12 weeks so I wouldn’t be leaving the company high and dry for long.
I’m going to interview and I will disclose during offer, if an offer is extended.
Post # 9
I would definitely go. Honestly, if you are the right fit for a position, many employers will work with you. My company provides a significant fully paid maternity leave (incredibly rare in the US) with no waiting period. Last year, someone in leadership told me about a great new hire they had made, and when I said I was excited to meet her, the partner told me that I’d have to wait a while, because she was 8 months pregnant and would be taking maternity leave. They were so afraid of losing her talent that they didn’t flinch at providing the benefit up front.
Post # 10
Everything you said in your second post makes a good case for you to go ahead and interview and negotiate leave options upon receiving an offer.
Post # 11
The money you lose by not having partially paid leave from your curent employer, would quickly be compensate by your new double your curent wage salary.