- 8 years ago
- Wedding: September 2010
Hey everyone, I’m new here to Wedding Bee… but better late than never, right? So I’m getting married in 5.5 months, and I’m trying not to panic. We’ve already been engaged for 8months (today! wahoo?) and have gotten lots and lots done. But, I’ve started to notice that so far we’ve only accomplished the fun stuff. Wedding Dress? Check. Cute Farm Venue? Check. Food and Cake? Check and Check…. after checking off all the things we have accomplished on our to-do list, all that remains is the grunt work.
So, because I am stressed and need to vent, here in it’s glory is the list of un-fun tasks I have yet to accomplish.
- Guest List related tasks
- Harass family members young and old for addresses
- Bully my parents and future in-laws into cutting 15% of people currently on list
- Figure out HOW to address guests on invite. If one guest has an MD, and his partner has a Ph.D. are they “Doctor and Dr. Allen?” What if the wife is very independent but took her husband’s last name? “Mr. and Mrs. Joe and Jane Doe?” I’m sure there is specific etiquette on this… i just don’t know what it is.
2. Rehearsal Dinner related tasks
- Choose a venue that won’t cost my future in-laws an arm and a leg
- Get someone from that venue with any kind of authority on the phone. Here is a transcript of a phone-call I had today with an employee at a potential Rehearsal Dinner venue. I was trying to get in touch with their manager, Alan.
Me: Hi, may I speak with Alan please?
Employee: She’s not coming back until April.
Me:Alan? A- L- A- N? Alan’s not coming back until April?
Employee: Oh sorry. No. We don’t have anyone named Alan who works here.
Me: not even a supervisor, or a manager?
Employee: Maybe you mean Al. He won’t be in until Tuesday.
!!!! I nearly lost my mind!!!! Anyway, it occurs to me that maybe I just have a bad attitude. Now that I have secured all the fun, exciting details for the wedding, my heart is just not into these more menial/trying tasks.
Anyone have advice for how to make guest list pruning and rehearsal dinner coercion more fun!? I’m all ears…