(Closed) Into to Jewish Weddings 101?

posted 7 years ago in Jewish
Post # 3
11 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2009

@GingerMac: The ketubah is basically the marriage contract. As for the breaking of the glass, it’s a symbol of the Jewish community’s sorrow over the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem. That in joy, there is also always sorrow.

Post # 4
5494 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2011

@GingerMac: if you ask a rabbi what the meaning of the breaking of the glass is, he’ll tell you that there are as many meanings as there are rabbis.  Everyone comes up with something different.

The way we like to think of it is that just as the broken glass is permanently broken and can never be put back together, so too are we purmanently bound as husband and wife and can never be separated again.

Post # 5
688 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

My Fiance is Jewish, we’re doing a half Jewish, half Catholic ceremony.

I’m not an expert, (I’m not Jewish) but what I gathered from meeting with our cantor is the following:
Ketubah: marriage contract. Our cantor says we’re not eligible to have one, as I’m not Jewish and somehow that makes teh Ketubah invalid. I think they basically spell out the rights the woman has in the marriage.

Glass breaking: there’s a million reasons for this…I think the main one is to remember that even though it’s a happy occasion, the world is still broken. I prefer to think of it as a loud celebratory noise that means PARTY TIME! lol

Something you might want to add is the blessing over the wine, that is the most meaningful part of a Jewish ceremony. You say stuff in Aramaic to each other and put the rings on each other’s fingers. our cantor sasy this is the part where you’re bound in front of God.

Or you could try the yihud, 10 minutes of seclusion post ceremony.

Or have a chuppah! They’re pretty- it’s a canopy that you stand under. Your florist can do lots of cool stuff with that!

Post # 6
3461 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I’m looking into this as well, merging Jewish traditions with Lutheran.

The story I like best about breaking the glass is that it symbolizes the relationship – once shattered, it cannot be put back together again in the same way, thus you should treat your relationship carefully.

Might have both your parents give you away.

A ketabuh, although not legal, can be a very pretty document you could frame and display.

I personally don’t like some of the explanations for the bride to circle the groom 7 times (or even 3.5 each), so I won’t be doing it, but you might consider it.

Post # 9
Bee
2362 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010 - New York Botanical Garden

I wrote a lot of posts about Jewish traditions on the blog – if you have time and feel like looking through my archives, you can find many of these addressed at http://www.weddingbee.com/author/hermitcrab

Post # 10
3316 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

You might want to check out our programs, which had the entire text of our ceremony plus an explanation of each of the customs.  A word document with the entire text of our program can be found at this link.

The topic ‘Into to Jewish Weddings 101?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors