(Closed) Invitation Addressing question

posted 10 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 3
117 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2008

i think that you should address it as:


Dr. Jane so-and-so and Mr. John Doe


even though she doesn’t go by doctor formal addresses should still use the title… 

Post # 4
12 posts
  • Wedding: November 2008

Use either Dr or Ms but NOT Mrs as you don’t use Mrs if you keep your maiden name. I’d go with Dr.

Post # 6
1423 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

Actually I’ve read in etiquette guides and such that PhDs are not addressed as "Dr." in social situations  — only MDs get the title socially.  (Nuts!  I’m getting this PhD for nothing!). 

So, since she kept her name it should be Ms.  Blank and Mr. DifferentBlank. 


Post # 7
65 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: January 2009

I’ve also heard it said by one of my professors that "Professor" can be considered a higher honorific than "Doctor" because it’s more difficult to get a true Professorship than it is to get a PhD.

 If you haven’t already talked about it with her, you might just send her an email with her and her husband’s names and address as you plan to address the envelope (your best guess) and ask her to confirm that everything is correct and that you’ve correctly spelled her street name, husband’s name, etc.  Then she’d have the opportunity to correct any titles, as necessary.

 That might be a little less obvious than asking straight out, though I don’t see a problem with just asking, either.

 Good luck!

The topic ‘Invitation Addressing question’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors