(Closed) Invitation disaster – USPS lost 59/60 invites!

posted 7 years ago in Paper
Post # 3
1684 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

start calling, emailing, facebooking, smoke signalling. 

Don’t waste another penny or another iota of time on invitations. 

I’m so sorry this happened to you. It’s certainly an unfortunate situation 🙁

Post # 4
336 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

@cdub77: Oh goodness, that’s terrible! I really hope they turn up somewhere very soon! This was my worst nightmare after I posted mine! I even posted them out over 4 different days so they were all spread out in case something did happen. If all mine went missing I would’ve said “screw it” and sent everyone an email because I was so over making my invites once they were all done!

I was lucky, I had a few overseas ones which I sent with only had a single local postage stamp on them, but even they arrived and no one was charged the extra postage.

I really am sorry this has happened and sorry I have no useful advise. Goodluck!

Post # 5
1401 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

Maybe something’s holding them up at the post office and they’ll be delivered in the next day or two? You never know… 

I’m so sorry this is happening to you!!

Post # 6
2889 posts
Sugar bee

Before you panic, there’S always other ways to get information to people. But first, how do you know all are missing? Have you really contacted 59 recipients? In that case, you can just deliver the info over the phone and when they get the invites it will not be too late for them to come. At least with packages, I think they need to be more than 2 weeks to be considered missing so you still have some time. My first thought is that they are sittign in a bucket somewhere sicne you hand canceled them. Hand canceling diverts them fromt he normal through the machine process all mail goes through and they need to thus be hand sorted if I understand correctly. This is why some hand cancelled invites end up with an additional machine cancel. So, if you really know no one has got them after 2 weeks, I would calmly go back to the post office at which you mailed them and explain the situation being sure to note that they were hand canceled. I would nicely ask if they could check around the building to be sure they went out and see if they can help. If no one gets them and they are not turning up, I would do email/phone calls to explain to guests what happened and confirm RSVPs. Did you do a STD? If so, then I don’t think it’s super important to redo formal invites as the guests all have a physical reminder of the date, you just need to communicate details and get RSVPs. Yes, this is far from ideal but it’s really not worth any more stress. (I know that’s easier said than done but some times we need to hear it).

Post # 7
1145 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

@cdub77: How would you know if people got their invites if its only been 6 days since you mailed them. Isn’t there an RSVP waiting period? Am I missing something?

Post # 8
624 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I would not panic at this point… It’s only been a few days. Sometimes the mail takes 1 day, sometimes it takes 10. Just wait and I wouldn’t worry. I would only start to worry if in like 3 weeks you still haven’t heard anything.

Post # 9
197 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

My invitations went out 2 weeks ago and my MOTHER hasn’t gotten hers yet Cry  We sent 3 invitations to her house (hers, my sisters & some friends who have recently moved) and USPS has delivered 1 of the 3.

Post # 10
1326 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011 - Tre Bella, Mesa, AZ

If the post office has to hand sort them, it will take longer (and since you hand-canceled them, I assume the machine won’t sort them). I also wouldn’t panic yet. If they haven’t arrived in another week, then you can start calling everyone. 🙂 Have you asked your close friends and family if they’ve received anything?

Post # 11
9029 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

How do you know they are all lost? Some may be delayed and  Some people take a while to even open their mail. One of my friends said my invite sat on her desk for a week before she remembered to open it. Also some people may receive it but wont call right away to let you know.  Its not possible for ALL 59 invites to be lost.  When I mailed mine some people didnt get their until about a week and a half later

Post # 13
5110 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 2011

Yay Im happy they are starting to reach their destinations. 

Post # 13
1 posts
Wannabee

This is happening to me too! I mailed my invited last Friday, and today (Friday) not a single one has arrived. ZERO. I’m not sure if I should keep waiting or try again. It’s been over a week now, and I’m getting pretty nervous. If I had know that hand canceling would add an additional week to the delivery time, I wouldn’t have done it. Usually mail arrived within a day of being sent. I had NO IDEA hand cacelling would add so much time. 🙁

The topic ‘Invitation disaster – USPS lost 59/60 invites!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors