Invitation Wording??

posted 3 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 2
486 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2017

futuremrsfraser :  For us, we wrote, “Together with their families, Jane and John invite you to…”

Post # 3
139 posts
Blushing bee

futuremrsfraser :  The host line doesn’t have to necessarily denote who is paying; in the case of a wedding, the bride’s parents can still be listed as the hosts and issue the invitation even if the couple is pitching in. This is especially the case if you plan to have a “going away” and guests will continue partying after you leave. So it comes down to whether or not you and your fiancé are concerned with being listed as hosts on the invite. If it is a big deal to you, I would suggest “Bride’s Name and Groom’s Name together with Bride’s parents names request the pleasure of your company…” 

Post # 4
651 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2017

futuremrsfraser :  It depends, do you want your parents to be considered the hosts or do you want to be considered the hosts as well? I would write it as “bride and groom together with their parents” if you want to be considered hosts.

Post # 5
744 posts
Busy bee

We are paying for our wedding ourselves but opted to write

“Together with their parents *** and *** request the pleasure of your company at the celebration of their marriage.”

Post # 7
1352 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2017 - The Lodge at Little Seneca Creek

My parents are paying for almost half of the wedding, and Fiance and I are paying the other half. FI’s mom is paying for the cake, which isn’t much but she’s still contributing. For our invitations, we wrote “Together with their families (bride and groom) request the pleasure of your company…” Would something like that work, or do you want to indicate that it’s only your parents helping?

Post # 9
3513 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

futuremrsfraser :  ….the fact that it’s a destination wedding has nothing to do with it being hosted. a “hosted” event is simply one to which guests are invited and everything is paid for (dinner, drinks, entertainment, etc). so unless you’re telling me that you’re inviting your guests to a wedding and then handing them a bill, *someone* is hosting your wedding.

the question is, who? who has crafted the guest list? who will thank guests for coming? who will ensure guests comfort throughout the evening? who is planning the event? those are many of the duties of a “host”. and yes, paying is also a host’s duty – but simply writing a check does not make one a host.

if the answer to these questions is “both us and my parents,” then the invitation should read,

“together with Bride’s Parents, bride and groom request the pleasure of your company..”

if it’s just you, then you leave off the “together with bride’s parents” and if it’s just your parents, then it reads

“brides parents request the pleasure of your company at the union of their daughter,

BrideFirst BrideMiddle and/to Groom Full Name (or GroomFirst GroomMiddle, son of Groom’s parents)”

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors