(Closed) Invite Addresses & hyphenated female names

posted 7 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 3
4582 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I’m not certain what’s proper but I just wanted to say I love the names you chose for your example. 🙂

Post # 4
7587 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

It’s not the proper way. The male should always go first. It should read

Mr. Kermit the Frog and Mrs. (first name)Piggy – The Frog

Post # 6
258 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

I did it both ways depending on the couple, at least for people around my own generation.  If I knew the guy well and not the significant other, i put him first.  if I knew her well and not him, I put her name first.  It just =made sense for my friends.  As far as family and my older generation invites, I was more formal.

Post # 7
1696 posts
Bumble bee

@mwitter80: Bless you for getting this right! Most people make the “it’s always ladies first” mistake (that being a rule that applies only in a very narrow range of circumstances!)

But note that in formal address, the first name is not used; and outside the U.S. in English-speaking countries (that is, in Canada, U.K, Australia, and New Zealand),  outside envelopes are correctly addressed to the lady of the house only.

So, on the envelope it would be “Ms Eloise Piggy-LeFrog”; and on the invitation itself or the inner envelope it would be “Mr LeFrog and Ms. Piggy-LeFrog”.

Also, it isn’t automatically “Mrs” just because the lady is married. Traditional nineteenth- and twentieth-century usage was that “Mrs” was only used with the husband’s surname; and “Miss” was used with the maiden  name, regardless of whether the lady was married. Nowadays it’s a free-for-all, with Ms added in to the mix to, supposedlly, simplify things by being a one-size-fits-all title for ladies regardless of marital status or name used.

The topic ‘Invite Addresses & hyphenated female names’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors