(Closed) Invited to a 5:30 pm wedding but no dinner will be served. Rude or OK?

posted 4 years ago in Etiquette
  • poll: Is it acceptable for a 5:30 PM wedding to not include dinner?
    Yes, it's fine. Weddings are expensive. : (59 votes)
    11 %
    No, that is terrible! Cheap! : (490 votes)
    89 %
  • Post # 166
    460 posts
    Helper bee

This is incredibly tacky and rude. Why is having a wedding you can afford such a difficult concept for some people to understand? If you can’t afford to properly host 100+ guests then don’t invite that many people. A big wedding isn’t an entitlement, and getting married does not make it ok to treat family and friends poorly just because “It’s my special day!” 

Post # 167
    1168 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 2011

sweetloveaj:  I wouldn’t judge them if they scheduled the wedding at an appropriate time to not serve food, but if you schedule your wedding for 5:30 at night then you deserve to be judged for being either a moron or selfish.  

Post # 168
    3563 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

elephantear:  Generally speaking, most people getting married have some sort of wedding registry…so while they may not be EXPECTING gifts, they are “expecting” that guests may want to buy them stuff off their registry as a gift.  My point was that as a host, you feed your guests if you’re having an event during a normal dinner time. 

Post # 171
    1746 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2018

raspberrybidet:  holy moly, crazy!!!! Wow, thanks for the update.

Post # 172
    1469 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2015 - Holly Hedge Estate

raspberrybidet:  Good god, this couple sounds horrendous. Who the F says something like that?? If i were you guys I would pull out of going like those other people did! “You’re on the B list, so you’ll have to cover your own dinner” ….Yeah no. Won’t be attending. Eat all the hord’vs you can stuff in your mouth girl!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 173
    3443 posts
    Sugar bee

raspberrybidet:  Lol! Thank the f-ing god you posted an update. The only thing worse than a cash bar (kidding) would have been reading through all 12 pages of this debate with no update from you (not kidding)!

Post # 174
    281 posts
    Helper bee

SLOBee:  Ha, my thoughts exactly! This debate needed an update asap. A & B list…I would be offended by that also as a guest. 

Post # 175
    3332 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2017

Thanks for the update! And THANK YOU for saying that people are OFFENDED by this. Too many Bees think this an OK thing to do!!! B lists are rude!! Tiered receptions are rude!!

Post # 177
    1746 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2018

raspberrybidet:  you have to hit the reply button in the bottom corner of the Bee’s post ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 179
    207 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2016

I think its rude to invite people to a wedding and not provide anything to eat.

Post # 180
    945 posts
    Busy bee

This is an amazing conclusion. Thank you!

The topic ‘Invited to a 5:30 pm wedding but no dinner will be served. Rude or OK?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors