(Closed) Invites I love but 600 dollar!?!

posted 5 years ago in Paper
  • poll: Invites
    If you love them get them : (7 votes)
    7 %
    I wouldn't pay that much : (96 votes)
    93 %
  • Post # 2
    5154 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: June 2014

mrsHankins:  I would not pay that much for invites. Unfortunately, people are just going to throw them away. I paid about $200 for mine. 

Post # 3
    217 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2015

If you have around a $3000 budget it just does not make sense to pay $600 for invitations alone. Those are beautiful, but 95% of your guests will say, “ooo, how pretty, almost don’t want to throw them away!” just before they toss them in the trash. You have more important things to spend your money on!

Post # 4
    1612 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2014

Agree with PP. I got mine on Vistaprint for around 150 with envelopes, RSVP cards and stickers. To most people its a throw away item.

Post # 5
    3586 posts
    Sugar bee

I paid 100 bucks for my invites. I wanted them to look nice but didn’t really care for anything to pretty. Just need to get my point across. That is money that you are throwing away literally. 

Post # 6
    3747 posts
    Sugar bee

mrsHankins:  I paid more than that for 100 invites, so I’m not going to say that $600 is too much. However it does sound like it would be a HUGE part of your budget, therefore, not at all worth it. What are you doing for beverage costs or is that part of the $1000 for food? You will be surprised all the random things that come up with decor, rentals, flowers, wedding day prep, etc. I’d leave wiggle room in your budget for those items. Find a paper invite with a silhouette of a tree to achieve the same look for a lot less. 

Post # 7
    5188 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: February 2013

Waste of $. 

Post # 9
    3036 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2015 - Walnut Hill Bed & Breakfast

No way. Maybe get yourself a pretty laser-cut tree guest book for people to sign that you can hang in your home?

People are just going to throw invitations away. 

Post # 10
    2092 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2015

They are lovely, but way too expensive for something people just throw away. With a 3k budget, I would save that $$$ for something else.

Post # 11
    2268 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2015

mrsHankins:  Do I think you personally should spend that much money on invitations? No.

In brief, I would not spend 20% of my wedding budget on invitations. That’s crazytalk.

Considering your original projected budget and how you’re spending so far, it sounds to me like you are having some troubles with budgeting. If you want to spend $3k total, I would be focusing the budget on things that your guests will care about (food, beverages, seating, etc.), instead of multiple dresses and a crazy expensive cake topper (which you don’t even need or could make.)

I think you should re-consider how you budget this wedding. It might help you to make some of these decisions with a little more ease. You can find some great budgeting tools online that can provide you with really helpful percentage breakdowns. 

Post # 12
    2697 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: January 2015

mrsHankins:  Thos are beautiful! But a complete waste of money. Everyone (except for maybe like 5 people) will throw them out.

I got my invites on Vistaprint, 100, envelopes included for $60. I bought them during a massive sale, and we had online RSVPs so no additional cards, but I thought they looked great and fot our theme perfectly.

While you will not find invites that elaborate for $100-$200 it does not make sense to spend that much on a throw away item with a small wedding budget. Trust me, you’ll find something you’d rather put the money into once you get further into planning.

Post # 13
    54 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: February 2015

I agree with the others – they are gorgeous, but I wouldn’t invest so much of your budget on something that will end up in the trash…

Post # 14
    2691 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2015

With that kind of budget it makes absolutely NO SENSE to spend 20% of it on invites…

Post # 15
    294 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2017

That’s way too big a chunk of your wedding budget and ultimately guests are going to throw them away. typically when I recieve an invitation, I write the date down and throw it away immediately (I’m trying to cut down on clutter). 

The topic ‘Invites I love but 600 dollar!?!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors