(Closed) Invites I love but 600 dollar!?!

posted 5 years ago in Paper
  • poll: Invites
    If you love them get them : (7 votes)
    7 %
    I wouldn't pay that much : (96 votes)
    93 %
  • Post # 16
    2878 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2015

crackktheskyy: nailed it. 

OP, you need to sit down and prioritize your budget. If you’re spending $102 on the cake topper, how much is your cake? it adds up fast. 

Check out weddingwire’s budgeting tool and A Practical Wedding. 

You can have a lovely wedding on your budget but carefully consider needs vs wants. 

Post # 17
    4891 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: October 2014

After MONTHS of searching for the perfect invitation, I found one that I LOVED! However, with everything needed, and even getting 20% off, the total was almost $550 – which I was NOT willing to pay for something people were just going to throw away.

Find something cheaper, I’ve seen websites with Tree pictures on invitations, and put the extra money to use somewhere else that people will notice, or you can keep as a memory.

Although the design wasn’t 100% what I was looking for, it worked and people said that it looked nice. We went with Vistaprint, and saved over $300. The extra money was easily put towards our photobooth, which was a great memory for everyone!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by  Kacie209.
    Post # 18
    275 posts
    Helper bee

I wouldn’t do it! Invites are pretty but guest WILL throw them away because it’s not sentimental or practical for them. Invites are honetly a one time thing. If you love it that much, get 1 set for yourself to remember things by and normal invites for everyone else!

Post # 19
    2120 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: October 2015

that’s ridiculous. they just go in the trash.

Post # 20
    11461 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: May 2009

If you love them, and you can afford to purchase them, get them. My engraved invitations were one of the most important aspects of my wedding, and I paid between three and four times as much as that for mine. However, if you are not really able to accommodate that cost in your budget, then I would not stretch the budget at the expense of something you want more, in order to do have them.

Post # 21
    1338 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

mrsHankins:  Wait WHAT?

You have a total budget of $3000.  You are having TWO dresses made for $1000.00.  You are spending $1000.00 on food for ONE HUNDRED PEOPLE (?!).  And you are considering $600 invitations?  

This is either a fake post or you have done bumped your head.

In the event that this isn’t fake.  All these people that are doing things for “free”, are you not budgeting tips and gifts for them?

But this HAS TO BE fake. 

Post # 22
    6524 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: September 2013

mrsHankins:  given that your budget is $3K, its not a good idea to spend 20% of your budget on invites. I woukd look for something more affordable.

i had a way bigger budget and hated spending $630 on invites! It was a waste of money but i was running out of time, so i settled. 

Post # 23
    1079 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2015

mrsHankins:  I am failing to find the logic in spending that much on paper when you have suvj a limited budget to work with anyways. It doesn’t seem like a wise idea to pay that much. 

I am putting a lot into my invites but even so I’m not spending that much on them. 

Post # 24
    Bee
    96 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: Backyard Forest

mrsHankins:  If your budget is only $3000, spending 20% of your budget on invitations is quite high. Those will also cost a lot to ship to your guests, postage would be really steep, plus the packaging, I’d think you’d need a bubble wrapped envelope as well. 

If I received that invitation I wouldn’t know what to do with it. You can’t put it on the fridge, and I don’t like clutter, I’d probably throw it out a lot sooner than a regular one… which I would feel badly about knowing how expensive it was.

$1000 on food is not a lot of food for 100 people. We are doing heavy appetizers with a caterer that is a family friend and we’re still looking at about $25 a head for food. 

Even something like this will save you hundreds:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/213313508/100-set-paper-cut-tree-wedding?ref=sc_2&plkey=16239ee3fb4950ea99f51fbc6d418e9cd71ca4af%3A213313508&ga_search_query=tree+wedding+invitation&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_ref=auto1&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by  Mrs. Narwhal.
    Post # 25
    Bee
    96 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: Backyard Forest

Even this at assuming you need around 50 invitations for 100 people would only be about $300:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/210159768/tree-wedding-invitation-wood-wedding?ref=sr_gallery_11&ga_search_query=tree+wedding+invitation&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

or this is something practical, you could order a download for about $25 and pay about $50-80 on Vistaprint for your invitations. Something within your budget range for your $3k wedding. 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/188417194/the-giving-tree-wedding-invitation?ref=sr_gallery_16&ga_search_query=tree+wedding+invitation&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

Post # 26
    894 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2015

The only people that will keep these invitations are you and possibly your parents.  Everyone else is going to throw them away.  You’d be paying $600 for trash.

Post # 27
    2268 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2015

Miss Narwhal:  I’m a fan of those last ones that are more budget friendly. They’re cute and still have the tree theme!

I think OP is having bigger budgeting issues than invitations right now. OP, I would seriously also get rid of the second dress and the cake topper, and anything else super unnecessary. Keep in mind that venue and food/beverage costs should be about 45-60% of your overall budget. I would provide more/better food, make sure you have seating for everyone, and have one less dress. No one is going to leave the wedding and say, “Damn, I’m starving but that cake topper, invitation, and those two dresses really made it worthwhile!”

Post # 28
    1112 posts
    Bumble bee

How many accounts do you have on Weddingbee? You’re all over the place. Weird. 

Post # 29
    1181 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

I love these invites but $600 is way to much to spend on invites that most people will be throwing away.

Post # 30
    4891 posts
    Honey bee

MissCaraMia:  I was wonderinf the same based on pasts posts, and replies on that one with a different name but asking and answering questions like they were the poster.

The topic ‘Invites I love but 600 dollar!?!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors