(Closed) Inviting MIL & SIL over for Hanukkah/Christmas WHAT TO COOK?! PLEASE HELP.

posted 7 years ago in Cooking
Post # 3
13012 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Potato pancakes.  They’re a Hanukkah staple and aren’t too tough.  Get some applesauce and sour cream for the side, and you’re golden.  (And a tip: an old friend’s mother runs one of the temples back home, and she said she goes to Trader Joe’s, buys the potato pancakes frozen, and cooks them the day of, and no one notices!)

My Fiance is Jewish, so I’ve been muddling through the customs, and Hanukkah really doesn’t have a ton of specific food (unlike Passover and Rosh Hashanah).  Maybe try making a blintz soufle for dessert — super easy and delicious!

Post # 5
13012 posts
Honey Beekeeper

@runsyellowlites:   Blintz Souffle:

12 blintzes (frozen)
1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. sour cream
4 eggs
2 tbsp. orange juice
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix all of the ingredients. Place blintzes in a single layer in a pan. Pour mixture over the blintzes. (Blintzes may all have the same filling or use two or three varieties). Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes*

The recipe says 45 minutes…I think I cooked mine for almost 90.  Basically you cook it like a quiche and just make sure it’s not watery/firms up once it’s cooked.  I also put extra vanilla in because Fiance loves it. 

Blintzes are typically fried, but these are actually baked, so it wouldn’t upset her stomach.  They’re basically crepes with some sort of cheese filling (you can also get fruit filled ones if you want variety).  They sell them frozen in the grocery store.  I was really hesitant when I read the recipe from Future Mother-In-Law, but it came out delicious last time I made it.

Post # 6
3520 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

I would do a nice roast beef with twice baked potatoes, salad, and some kind of 3rd vegetable.  If you can get a New York Strip roast, those are GREAT.

Post # 8
Bee
1433 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2012 - Historic Lougheed House

@runsyellowlites: Blintzes and latkes are Hanukkah staples.  The whole point of the Hanukkah foods are to fry them in oil, and all of the traditional foods you’ll find will be fried in oil. 

My favourite Hanukkah foods are Latkes, cheese blintzes and sufganiyot.  Sufganiyot is ah-mazing, and you should totally make it if you can. 

Are you looking for Hanukkah foods or just more “hosting” types of food?  

Post # 9
1629 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

Look into london broil recipes…I’ve made them before and it is not only super easy, but super flavorful.  I like it served with roasted asparagus and mashed potatoes.  Great warm winter meal, feeds a crowd, and you can serve the leftover slices the next day in a sandwich or on top of salad. YUM.

Post # 12
Bee
1433 posts
Bumble bee

@runsyellowlites: A traditional Jewish dish I love is Brisket.  It’s usually saved for Pesach, but you could make it for Hanukkah if you wanted.  It is delicious. 

There is also another Jewish food called Kugel.  It’s made with egg noodles and it’s a sweet dish that is baked in a creamy sauce and has crunch on top (we use cornflakes).  

How Jewish am I?  All I can talk about is all the delicious foods!!  

Post # 13
2580 posts
Sugar bee

Mmm blintz souffle and kugel are some of my favorites! This post is making me hungry. I have a great kugel recipe if you want it…it’s definitely not for the health-conscious, though! 🙂

Post # 14
Bee
1433 posts
Bumble bee

@MM423: AGREED about kugel being terrible for you.  But how delicious is it?  I could probably eat a whole casserole of it, if I allowed myself.  It is delicious. 

Post # 15
1636 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Jelly doughnuts! baked chicken, wine, kugel, latkas I have a great recipie for the Latkas that my mom makes that came from poland with her grandma! Matzo ball soup as well!

Post # 16
3520 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

@runsyellowlites: Not a wet pot roast, but a big roast of beef cooked in the oven.  I have a really simple recipe that works with any cut (eye round roast, sirloin, New York Strip Roast), as long as it’s boneless.

For a 3 lb. roast:

Preheat oven to 500.  Place the beef in the roasting pan and salt and pepper it all over.  Put in the hot oven and immediately lower the temperature to 475.  Cook it for 21 minutes (or 7 min per lb. if you have a different size roast), then TURN OFF THE OVEN.  Leave the roast in the hot oven for 2.5 hours to keep cooking—you CANNOT open the oven door during theentire time.

This will make a perfect medium rare roast.  If you like medium cook it for 8.5 min per lb. at 475 then turn the oven off.

This is sooooooooo simple, and the best thing is that you don’t have to watch it at all.  You can be assembling your salad, boiling your veggies, etc. and time it so that it’s all done at the same time.

The topic ‘Inviting MIL & SIL over for Hanukkah/Christmas WHAT TO COOK?! PLEASE HELP.’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors