(Closed) Is $1,000 a lot for a wedding dress for a wedding with a budget of 6k?

posted 6 years ago in Logistics
Post # 3
2638 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2006

Yes.

Post # 4
607 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

Not if you can’t live w/out the dress, mine was just under that and we have the same budget. I coudln’t live w/out the dress though.

Post # 5
703 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

im trying to keep our wedding under $5,000 (looks like it’ll be closer to 6,000).. and i only spent about $225 on my dress including alterations.. so i personally think that is a lot, yes. but yay for having a free venue!

Post # 6
5475 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

I think it’s a large chunk of your budget, especially considering you’ll still have to pay for a crinoline, shoes, undergarments, and alterations. 

Post # 7
3769 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013 - Brookfield Zoo

I think as long as catering isn’t too much, if your venue is free then a $1000 dress is doable!  But check on the catering first >.<  Catering and Venue are typically the biggest chunks of the budget.

Post # 8
1402 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

Yes.  That’s 1/6th of you budget.  Unless you’re getting extremely cheap catering, you’re going to have a difficult time making things work with only 5k left.

Post # 9
3082 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

Eh, I think that it is a big chunk of your budget. Are you prepared to cut down in other areas? My wedding dress (including my veil) is about 5% of my entire wedding budget. Where as yours would be just less than 17%.

Post # 10
55 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I had the same exact budget…but i fell in love with a very expensive designer dress….BUT i am buying it online through Jasmines bridal and it will cost about 700! Way down from 3200-3400

Post # 11
9549 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

Yes. I think that 1/6 is a bigger percentage than I would spend on a dress. Can you find something used?

Post # 12
5544 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2011

Yes. Because add another couple hundred for accessories and such then suddenly you have almost no money left for anything else.

Post # 13
1902 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

As others have said, I would look into the prices for a few other things first – catering, alcohol and photography are often ones that will chew up your budget pretty quickly. Can you find your dress second-hand, or could you ask the store if you can buy the sample they have in the store?

Post # 14
808 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

My dress was under $500 and my budget is a few thousand higher than that.  For me, the dress was not as important as venue and food, so I wanted an inexpensive dress.  If you rank the dress as having high importance to you, I could see it being worth it.   If not, probably not.  🙂

Post # 15
3942 posts
Honey bee

It depends if you still have enough money to pay for everything else. That gives you $5000 to pay for the food/drinks, officiant, ceremony location, flowers, centerpieces, rentals, transportation, music, etc.

Post # 16
628 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

@cammmysmiles:  Yes…$6,000 does not go very far, even with a free venue. Again it does depend on what your plans are exactly.

For example, for my first wedding, I had a free venue, I made my own invitations, invited 30 guests to the ceremony and reception (in the free venue), a minister on site, had a catered brunch as opposed to dinner, minimal flowers, made the decorations myself, used $0.99 living centerpieces, had a small two tier cake, very simple wedding favors, no bar, no dancing, and a minimal ‘package’ for photography. 

I managed to pull the entire thing together for just over $5,000 (in 2001).

The topic ‘Is $1,000 a lot for a wedding dress for a wedding with a budget of 6k?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors