(Closed) Is $1,000 a lot for a wedding dress for a wedding with a budget of 6k?

posted 7 years ago in Logistics
Post # 17
732 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

I spent a thousand on my dress and my budget is 5000, and we have to pay for venue and everything. It was worth it for me, the dress wasnt something I wanted to compromize on, however I did look at cheaper alternatives after I had found the dress, but ended up getting the dress I loved.

Post # 18
193 posts
Blushing bee

We had a 5000 euro budget so i’m not sure how much this is in dollars but i think something around 8000 dollars. My dress costed 800 dollars, so i think that’s not too much. We expected 60 people but got 45 at the end. So it wasn’t too much. If the food is not really expensive nothing to worry about.

Post # 19
9818 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

In my opinion…yes!  But it all depends on what all your other expenses are.  If you haven’t figured out your venue, food, alcohol, or photography yet I would hold off on a dress until after you do that.  I spent the most on venue followed by photography then closely followed by both food and floral/decor (about equal). 

My dress was $1200 (plus I’m guessing another $100 or so for alterations) and my budget is $20,000.  Which makes my dress 6-7% of my budget.  That would make your dress 18-20% of your budget.  …which is a large chunk if you haven’t gotten everything else set yet.

Post # 20
1488 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Yes. Expenses add up quick! It’s easy to go over $6k if you’re not militant about budget. I say book your venue, catering anphotographer first at the very least before you spend that much on a dress.

Post # 21
11268 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

@cammmysmiles:  it is a bit much for that budget but i guess it depends.  how many guests are you having?  perhaps your $6000 budget could go further with fewer guests.

keep in mind, alterations, shoes, veil, etc all add up.

i think you should consider all of the other details of the wedding first before buying this dress.  after the catering, bar, staffing, gratuities, taxes, flowers, decor, tuxes, rings, etc, etc, etc, will you have enough in the budget for a $1000 dress?

Post # 22
201 posts
Helper bee

Yes, it’s disproportionate to your budget.  You wouldn’t wear a formal dress to meet some friends out for pizza, right?   Likewise, it doesn’t make sense to purchase an expensive wedding gown for a casual wedding. 

Post # 23
628 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

@Ms. Kitty:  +1

@cammmysmiles:  My $5, 000 dollar wedding could not be viewed as ‘formal’. There were no tuxedos, and my budget did not include the rings as we used our engagement rings (claddaghs) and simply turned them to face inward. A big white dress would not have been suitable for what we were able to put together, but I managed to find a gorgeous floor length dress done in gold that made me stand out as the bride 🙂 I suggest you listen to some of the posters who are telling you to look into the other aspects of the wedding before deciding upon the style and cost of the dress.

Post # 24
3623 posts
Sugar bee

Yes. Spend less on the dress and put more towards making your guests’ experience nice.

Post # 25
1081 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

A lot of the budget tools I’ve seen suggest that the venue should be anywhere from 20% – 60% of your budget (high percent usually includes catering/bar), and estimate the dress between 5%-10%.

But if your venue is FREE, you can add that percent to your dress… On the low end, meaning your free venue is just the venue and doesn’t include food/bar, that would mean you could spent 25% of your budget on your dress, which is $1500.

I think you’re fine. 🙂

EDIT: I’ve seen some budget tools estimate 10% for the whole bridal look (including alterations, jewelry, shoes, hair and makeup, etc). Maybe look into prices on alterations and all those other accessories and calculate that accordingly?

Post # 26
1652 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Yes. It is.

Post # 27
1384 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

My best friends wedding dress was $1200ish and her wedding altogether cost 7k. She originally wanted a cheaper dress (maybe in the $500 ball park) but she didn’t love any of them and she definitely loved the other gown. She just cut back on other expenses and so it all worked out for her. Personally I think it’s not too much, but I guess I have the unpopular vote here!

Post # 28
442 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I think it’S too big of a chunk but if you love it and are willing to really get creative elsewhere go for it. I have a 20k budget and my dress was 400. Lol clearly the dress was not the priority for me. 

Post # 29
6354 posts
Bee Keeper

It’s all up to you how you want to allocate the budget. We are having fewer guests and treating them like absolute royalty. We are not skimping or going more casual just because we’re having a more intimate guestlist, so the wedding dress, photographer, etc. will be no cheaper than if it was a wedding for 500.

Post # 30
2285 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: Central Park

Yes, the bride’s attire (everything) is generally 8-10%

Post # 31
8482 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2014

Yes. Our budget is $6000 and I refuse to spend more than $400 on my dress.

The topic ‘Is $1,000 a lot for a wedding dress for a wedding with a budget of 6k?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors