(Closed) Is 1200 calories too low?

posted 7 years ago in Fitness
Post # 47
19 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I am a Type 1 Diabetic about 5’10” and 170lbs. 1200 calories is easily attainable where you don’t feel hungry, but keep in mind you won’t be eating a lot of processed items too.

Ensure you are balancing your meals otherwise you will be craving nutrients which may lead to binge eating. This is why a multi-vitamin in the morning helps and does wonders. Stay away from added sugars, foods with high fat content, and artificial sweetners as they all go to the belly line. And stay hydrated!

But it takes about 3 weeks to train yourself to eat less and the right foods, so don’t get discouraged if the first couple days are hard and you have massive cravings! You can give in…but everything in moderation. 🙂

Post # 48
4411 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 2010 - Savannah, GA

I do not eat back the calories I burn. I don’t want to have to keep track of how many calories I burned during daily activities and exercise. I feel as though I’m being obsessive about it if I keep track of multiple things. That’s why I don’t really like MyFitnessPal. 

By calculating my caloric needs based on my activity level, my exercise has already be planned into my daily allowance, so I don’t have to eat back my calories burned durning exercise… If I were to eat back my calories, I’d be eating too much. 

Additionally, if I eat less than my daily recommended calories, I don’t worry about it too much, because I think 1200 per day is kind of arbritary. Your average calories per week is more realistic.

This is the site I used to determine my caloric needs. http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-goal.php

Post # 49
4411 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 2010 - Savannah, GA

@ElissaBee:  This!  Cutting out the processed food makes a huge difference.  1200 calories of processed food is a lot less food than 1200 calories of real food, and not nearly as tasty. 

Post # 50
Hostess
3571 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I eat about 1200-1500 depending on the day and basically how hungry I am. Sometimes this correlates to my exercise, sometimes it doesn’t. However, I think it’s worth mentioning that I live in a really strange environment where I am not allowed to walk ANYWHERE and so there’s very, very little ability to be active outside of my workouts. 

If I were still living in DC without a car and, running, and doing some weight training, I’d probably consistently eat about 1500 calories a day. My body is really finicky though and I totally gain weight just by looking at heavy carbs or wine. ; )

The topic ‘Is 1200 calories too low?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors