(Closed) Is 1/7/17 too close to 'normal' vacation time to have a wedding?

posted 3 years ago in Logistics
Post # 16
425 posts
Helper bee

stephyhansen :  I would attend a wedding in early January if I were given enough notice to plan ahead (around 6-8 months). The date you are asking about is too close, and there is not enough to give an appropriate amount of notice to your guests.

Additionally, I wouldn’t consider a 6 hour drive to be local. If people are spending a good chunk of the day traveling to get somewhere and/or have to spend a night away from home to attend a wedding, then that event is not taking place in their local area.

I think June would be a much better choice for you, and I’m sure that there are venues and vendors still available, especially if you plan quickly. If you have the summer off, you could also consider getting married in July or August.

Good luck!

Post # 17
824 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2017 - Sea Cider

stephyhansen :  I need a minimum of 6 months notice to get time off, so on that date, I would not travel more than an hour.

Post # 18
1365 posts
Bumble bee

Sadly, I wouldn’t be able to attend unless you were SUPER local (like, I could get there and back in the same day and it didn’t require any time off work). The program I run is tax-cycle dependent and January is a super huge month for us and no one has authorized time off. On a more personal note, after Christmas my bank account is basically nil. 

FWIW I wouldn’t consider a 6 hour drive local. That would for sure require multiple days travel for us.

Aaaaand as a side note, I really hate when people say that “people who care about you will attend.” Nope. Sometimes it’s simply not possible. FI’s dearest friend lives in CA and planned to come for our wedding — well, his wife is newly pregnant with #3 and her pregnancy has been hellish and they can no longer attend. We don’t think he loves us any less. 

Post # 19
3 posts
Wannabee

Hi Congrats on your engagement!!! I see your training to be a teacher.  Not sure if someone mentioned it or not but what about around the spring break/Easter/Passover holiday? Or the week of President’s day. It might give your guest more time to plan and get time-off. 

Post # 20
17 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: January 2017

I think it’s fine for a local wedding!!

i don’t think you will get a lot of our of towners but remember this day is about you and your fiancé and the people who want to be there will make it work. Mine is 1/21/17.

Post # 23
4 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: February 2017

I too teach in CA. I am getting married on Presidents Weekend. My district gets a week off for Lincoln and Washington’s birthday. We were going to go closer to the holidays as well due to the reasons you mentioned, but my grandma said we should try to find a different time. So we did. I am also taking off two days before the wedding and getting a sub. My principal already signed my “request of leave” paperwork. So if you do have your wedding not near any holidays you can request a day or two off before the weekend of your wedding. YMaybe you can do a Feb wedding around Presidents weekend? Or maybe MLK day which is a later date in Jan? You could also get married and take your honeymoon in the summer. I know a few teachers who have done that.

Post # 24
441 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2016

If I’m out of state it would be difficult (especially if airfare is necessary) since I also fly home for the holidays to visit family. If I was local it would be fine.

Post # 26
162 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: January 2016 - The Great Southern Club

i got married 1/2/2016…but my wedding was local and most of my guests were family. we invited about 95 people and i had about 80 there. no one seemed to mind. i think they liked extending the festivites 🙂

Post # 27
13585 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I think that it’s close enough from the holidays to complicate leave/schedules, but far enough that it won’t “extend the festivities” as the PP said.  If you can find President’s Day weekend available at a venue, I think that would be a much better option. 

Post # 28
2635 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

I think that time of year would be ok if you had more warning for people.  It’s just too soon I think.  A lot of people take time off around Christmas, and I’m sure they already have things planned for this year.  If It were further out, they could plan around your wedding, but it’s too late for that.  I’d do it over the summer instead.  (plus if you are in school, do you really have time to put together a wedding in just a few months?)

ETA: just saw your update.  I think you made a great choice!  You’ll be able to enjoy the planning process a lot more!!!

The topic ‘Is 1/7/17 too close to 'normal' vacation time to have a wedding?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors