(Closed) Is 196 inch Veil long enough?

posted 6 years ago in Accessories
Post # 3
4352 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

I think it might be too long. My blusher hits right at my elbows and its 25″. I’m doing a drop veil so the blusher length plus the length in the back is the total length of the veil. Even if you aimed for cathedral length with a fingertip length blusher, you would still be at 153″. If you have a 196″ veil with a 20″ blusher, you’re going to have a veil that is trailing about 7 feet behing your dress. If thats the look you want, then fine. Personally I would try on your dress and heels and have someone measure out how long a veil like that would be.

Post # 4
7977 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2013 - UK

It’s hard to tell without a pic of you in it… I can’t visualise that length. The only thing I will say is that when I look at pictures of veils, I never think “hmmm… I should have gone with less…”. If you’re into veils like I am then more is always more! You should also consider if you want a longer blusher… the long ones can look really elegant!

EDIT: After seeing the PP’s picture, I think it is too long, actually. I don’t think you should go longer than a regal length behind you (that’s 120 inches) because it will start looking silly. And I don’t think you want a blusher longer than 45 inches (probably less) so that gives a maximum length of 165 inches…

Post # 6
7977 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

OK… and I thought I had excessive taste in veils! Sorry, but I think it’s far too much. I think the train of the dress is far too much in your picture as well. The maximum standard veil length is regal, which is about 120 inches… and I think that’s the max for a reason, now I’ve seen the pics!

If I were you, I’d just add your desired blusher length to the regal length 120 inches and get a drop veil that length. You’ve got to bear in mind that veils are heavy. They catch and drag and get in the way, especially if they are embellished. People step on them and tear them, and they catch in car doors etc.

… so yes… 5 feet is MORE than enough!

Post # 8
7977 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

Ah… my veil is 120 inches as well, and I’m also debating whether it’s enough when I use it as a drop veil! Same issue! I am considering using a detachable blusher to solve the problem… wear the 120 inches as a mantilla and then attach a raw edged, completely plain piece of tulle to the comb which would lie flat underneath the lace of the mantilla and give a similar look to a drop veil.

http://www.veilshop.com/a8617-detachable_blusher_bridal_wedding_veil.html

Mantilla-with-blusher

I’m making this myself as it’s so easy and cheap to do… once I’ve seen how it looks then I’ll decide for sure between that and simply wearing mine as a drop veil. You could try the same thing!

The topic ‘Is 196 inch Veil long enough?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors