(Closed) Is $200 a fair amount to expect a bridesmaid to pay for a dress?

posted 6 years ago in Bridesmaids
Post # 61
621 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

I dont think most people actually get alterations on a bridesmaids dress unless completely necessary (pregnancy, unusually large bust, etc.)

Post # 62
1784 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

Roxytiki:  My Maid/Matron of Honor spent $199 and didn’t blink an eye. My one bridesmaid ‘spent’ (my mom bought it for her, she’s 16) $150. It wasn’t an issue in my group.

Post # 63
177 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

Roxytiki:  

I have already had a conversation with the bridesmaids about costs and they all agreed that they will pay “whatever” as long as they like the dress and it’s not $500!

So if you have already asked them individually what their budgets are and they each said “$499 or less” then I guess $200 is fine.  It seems like they already told you they would be fine spending $200?

<div style=”overflow: hidden; color: #000000; background-color: #ffffff; text-align: left; text-decoration: none;”> </div>

Post # 64
3823 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Roxytiki:  i think it depends on the bridesmaids. mine were fine with it because it was for me (their reason, not mine) and because they were both pretty financially secure. it didn’t break them. and we did everything far enough in advance where if they had to, they could make deposits. both of them paid everything flat out.

but that’s why i say it’s important to choose bridesmaids based on their personal stability and financial stability first before considering how “special” your relationship is and all that. yeah a special friend can give you a hard time.

The topic ‘Is $200 a fair amount to expect a bridesmaid to pay for a dress?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors